We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

My husband and I will be spending a week in Edinburgh this Spring. We both have an interest in William Wallace and historical sites in that area that are associated with his life... any suggestions on where to go or tours to take?

On a lighter note, we also enjoyed the Braveheart movie and would love to see sites from the movie as well.

Thanks for your help,

Catherine from Wisconsin

Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Hello Catherine, if you are interested in William Wallace I suggest you go to Stirling which is the birthplace of William Wallace and they have the William Wallace monument there and Stirling Castle. As for seeing sites in the Braveheart movie you would have to go to Ireland because that was where the movie was shot. If you are going to Edinburgh then Edinburgh Castle is a must see. You could also go to Loch Lomand which is quite nice or why not take a trip to Inverness and look for the Loch Ness Monster! You could also go to Glasgow for a shopping trip.

Hope you enjoy your week in bonny Scotland!

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Should just point out that Elderslie in Renfrewshire is generally considered to be the birthplace of William Wallace. But Stirling Bridge is the site of his greatest military success. And Stirling is a great place to visit in any case, including the Wallace Monument in Causewayhead.

Fuorigrotta...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

if you have an interest in william wallace you'll also know that the hollywood version of his life was somewhat different to the truth...! When i saw the premier of the film in edinburgh it received a sound booing! (due mostly to the fact it wasn't filmed in scotland - other than the high mountain shots - and that an ozzie was playing one of our biggest heroes..) Scotland is beautiful and haunting, and its people very friendly - you'll have a grand time. Falkirk was the place where Wallace had his final defeat before going into hiding - might be of interest...?

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

I was at a couple of Irish location sites for Braveheart recently - Tring Castle, west of Dublin, and Glendalough in Wicklow, south of Dublin.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Hi,

As the other posts mentions most of Braveheart was filmed in Ireland. The opening scenes and village scenes were al filmed in Glen Nevis, near Fort William and at the foot of Ben Nevis.

The village was also used for filming Rob Roy, shortly after the Braveheart team left - I was in the area the time of filming and they were looking for extras but I couldn't commit the time(just one of those things I'll always regret!)

The only reminder of the filming is the small car park that was left after the film crew moved on, arbour 3/4 the way up the glen. Coming from Glasgow/ Edinburgh you pass through the stunning Rannoch Moor and Glencoe - Highlander, Rob Roy and Monty Pthyon and the Holy Grail were all filmed here.

Other Wallace sites include the National Wallace Monument near Stirling (with it's smaller "Mel Gibson" statue!). The Wallace Statue in the Borders, near Dryburgh is an awesome sight, standing at 31 feet!

I take visitors on tours of Scotland to see the sites associated with William Wallace and Robert the Bruce (amongst others) - www.mini-tours.com Let me know if I can help.

Enjoy Scotland!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Just trying to squeeze both threads together.

London, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

CraigF

I hadn't realised that any of Braveheart was filmed in Scotland - can you be more specific about the location iin Glen Nevis?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Hi,

The exact loaction of the Braveheart village is tricky to descibe in writing but I'll try.

Heading through Glen Nevis and by all of the houses, campsite etc the road begins to rise and you see the distinctive 45 degree angle of the hills to the left with trees on the bottom half slopes. When the road gets to its highest, and is a bit away from the small River Nevis there is a small layby on the left. Just past this a rough road forks left to a very small carpark next to 2 mounds down towards the river.

This is where a lot of the action happened.

Hope this helps.

brig o' doon
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: William Wallace and Braveheart spots?

Goodness, don't forget Glencoe or the latter Battle of Culloden outside of Inverness (which failure didn't actually mean conquer because Scotland was still it's own country until the Union Act of 1707 which Scottish Parliament signed because the Scotland was bankrupt for trying to trade with Cartehenga, Columbia. Ya, it's the American word for "extortion").

Anyway, both Glencoe and Inverness (or was it Aberdeen) were filming locations. Glencoe is where Mel Gibson was flown up to the mountain tops for his little jog.

Best,

HM