We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Hi Everyone,

I'm spending 3 days (in August) in Edinburgh and this is what I've constructed my itinerary to be like. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Day 1:

- Check into Tipperlinn (135 GBP)

- Edinburgh Castle (14 GBP)

9:30am-6:00pm

- Royal Mile/Old Town

- Writer’s Museum (Free)

Sun 2:00pm-5:00pm, Tue 10:00am-5:00pm

- Palace of Holyroodhouse (14.30 GBP)

9:30am-6:00pm

- Arthur’s Seat

Duddingston Village (picturesque & oldest) (if there's time)

Day 2:

- Highlands Tour with The Hairy Coo 8:30am-6:30pm (17 GBP, $27)

- Calton Hill (Sunset)

Day 3:

- Edinburgh Festival festivities

- New Town

- Princes Street Gardens

- Leith (Waterfront/Royal Yatch Britannia)

Bus 16, 22, 35 or 36

- Cadies & Witchery Tour – 8:30pm (75 minutes) (9 Eu)

Edited: 15 May 2012, 06:22
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

You appear to be doing Festival (hint it's FestivalS) in the morning when most of the events don't happen until after 4:00pm up to after midnight. In the morning you aren't even likely to see street performers.

You haven't given days of the week you are visiting but

Mondays are the days when acts are most likely not to be performing as they sober up / get some sleep / appear in court.

Saturdays & Sundays are the peak day for visiting the Castle - this gets even worse in August

And I can't see the point of visiting Edinburgh in August just so you can spend one third of it in a coach.

What I would do is

Day 1 - Walk the Royal Mile, plenty of free entertainment, plenty of getting in the mood, plenty of people giving you leaflets. If queues aren't too bad visit castle & Holyrood or walk up Arthur's Seat - http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/

Day 2 - Royal Yacht in the morning, Edinburgh Festival in the afternoon

Day 3 - Castle & Holyrood, more Festivals, walking tour.

Alter depending on days of week as above

Edited: 15 May 2012, 07:02
Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

We're there sun-we'd but I'm not counting we'd bc it's travel day so we only have the morning. The highlands were a must for us do we'd like to keep that and also that's a Monday. I'll switch day 1 & 3 around to incorporate ur commend. Thx!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Interested to see a price next to the Hairy Coo. Its tip based I thought?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Hi! Alanrow speak a lot of sense. It seems a shame to forgoe a day in Edinburgh, but if you want to see the Highlands, so be it!

I think you will struggle to fit everything in on Day 1 (although I was slightly confused by the timings on your post). Edinburgh is BURSTING with life during the festivals, and subsequently everything takes longer to accomplish... You will discover this the first time you try to walk/wade/battle down the Royal MIle. My advice would be not to plan too much too tightly, just plan on soaking up the atmosphere, watching some street performers, popping into some free shows that take your fancy, and perhaps booking some shows for the evening.

Enjoy your trip!

Abs :)

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Hairy coo is tip based. I just put down what it costs then

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

Hairy coo is tip based. I just put down what it costs them.

I want to make sure we see the main sites which is y day 1 seems so ambitious. Figured what we don't get to in day 1 we can leave for day 3.

Oh and the timings were so I know what is open till when.

Thx!

Edited: 15 May 2012, 12:50
7. Re: 3 Days in Edinburgh -- Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:17