We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

Bedford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Scotland reaching Edinburgh on 1st June late morning.I want to do Castle mainly and not much.We'll hire the car and will leave Edinburgh on 2nd morning to do Stirling castle and Loch Lomond area.Where should we stay Loch Lomond or Stirling?

We leave Stirling area on 3rd June for Fort Augustus.I want to do Loch ness and surrouding area.Stay Fort Augustus in the night and go to Isle of Skye next day(4th June) and come back to Fort Augustus in the evening and then on 5th leave Fort Augustus for Edinburgh ,return the car and take train from Edinburgh.

I want to know if this itinary is good or I need to change something??

Thanks

SG

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Scottish National War Memorial
Castles, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mons Meg
Castles, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

You are going to be doing a lot of driving and not much else. Distances are not that much but away from the motorway network of central Scotland your average speed will only be about 40mph. I don't know if you have driven much in the highlands of Scotland but because of the type of road it is not going to be great for the driver with FULL concentration required, that's why minibus tours running out of Edinburgh are so popular. Personnely I think it is too much. Have you thought of doing it by Train? relaxing and some fantastic scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

Not much point driving to Skye and back in one day, its too far to get the maximum enjoyment in so little time - plus its a LOT of driving. I think there is too much driving for 4 days - Mike's words are wise, so heed them.

If you are sticking to this itinerary I would stay as far north in the Loch Lomond area as possible so you are nearer Fort Augustus and therefore perhaps have less driving on one of your days.

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Bedford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

Hi ,

Thanks for the good advice.Even I felt that its going to be a little too much ..may be we can try taking bus tours or trains to make it simpler.

SG

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,027 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

The only way you could do it is as a one way car hire between Edinburgh & Inverness taking the ferry from Mallaig and leaving Skye by the Skye Bridge, then fly to Birmingham from Inverness.

Might be expensive though overall.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Bedford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

I've changed my plans a bit..May be I can go Edinburgh-Fort Augustus-Lochness-Inverness and from there I go to Skye and while coming back I take the Mallaig route to Fort William and then come back to Edinburgh via Stirling.Is it possible to get my car in the Ferry from Skye to Mallaig??

I wanted to take the train from Mallaig to Fort William but where will I drop my car?Is it possible to rent a car at Edinburgh and then return it in Skye or Mallaig?

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Fort Augustus
Fort Augustus
1,029 Reviews
Fort Augustus, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Bedford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

I've changed my plans and not going to Isle of Skye anymore.So will go to Fort Augustus..spend one day there.Do Fort William the next day,stay there for night and then do the Loch Lomond and Stirling on the last day.

I appreciate the useful advice about my query.

SG

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Fort Augustus
Fort Augustus
1,029 Reviews
Fort Augustus, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
371 Reviews
Scotland, UK
7. Re: Please help me with my trip for 4 days itinary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:40