We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to go around Edinburgh

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Places to go around Edinburgh

Hi guys,I have been planning a 2 weeks trips to Edinburgh (which was initially to south end).. I have three weekends to roam around..I am planning to go to paris and london on two of them.. Can u suggest places where I can go on the weekend.. And my husband would be busy with his official work on weekdays can some one suggest places where I can roam around during the day in edinburgh???

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Can u give me some idea of the places.. as in the area names !!!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,010 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Edinburgh is safe, any place tourists are likely to go.

Caution is advised in places like Calton Hill and the Meadows after dark, which don't have lights at night. But it will be daylight until late at that time of year.

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Mostly the areas are safe daytime.. And Are there appropriate number of people on these tourists spots on weekdays as well ???

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Hi Nancy. You will be safe in the city centre, it is busy with tourists and locals. Be sensible, don't wave cash around or leave handbags unzipped, simple things - and you should not run into trouble. As capital cities go, it is one of the safest I have visited/lived in.

Abs :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Lucky you! Edinburgh is a world-class city that will leave you with great memories. The must-do sites are Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, National Gallery (look for the skating vicar!) and the Royal Yacht Britannia. Edinburgh is as said above, a great place for meandering about and you should have a stroll or two around the New Town (Dundas Street, Howe Street, Drummond Place) for an architectural experience! Enjoy!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

If you are not sure of your bearings I recommend you take a hop on hop off tour bus, a 24 hour ticket, which will take you between the major tourist areas, and will give you a running commentary. I always recommend 'Majestic Tours' because it goes North from the city centre and visits the Royal Botanic Gardens (beautiful) and the Royal Yacht Britannia (a bit of Royal History) as well as taking you down the Royal Mile and through the old and new town. Once you have run round town on the bus you will be better placed to decide where to go back to.

Once you have used up your 24 hour ticket you can use local buses. But many of the places you may want to visit are close enough together that walking makes a lot more sense. I could name about a dozen locations Between the Castle and Holyrood House, so you just walk down the Royal Mile from one to another.

Good views of Edinburgh? Climb Arthur's Seat, at about 700 feet (200+ metres) it has good views over Edinburgh and its surrounding hills and the River Forth. And if you visit the Botanic Gardens the views southwards from Inverleith House show an Edinburgh skyline largely free of modern intrusions.

Edinburgh has a number of world-class Art Galleries, and an excellent museum.

Edinburgh's a pretty safe place, and you'll find MANY tourists pretty much everywhere you intend to go: you will not be alone.

If you want an alternative trip out of Edinburgh, Hairy Coo tours will take you on a minibus day trip into the Highlands.

17. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 07:05
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

There is nowhere on the tourist trail that's dangerous. There are housing estates with reputations but no reason fir a visitor to go near. The usual cautions regarding wallets bags cameras apply as they would anywhere. Edinburgh is as safe or safer than Paris or London.

India
Level Contributor
63 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

Thnku sooo much for the reply..

20. Re: Places to go around Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:17