We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Hi,

My son and I are taking the 9:30 AM train from Edinburgh to London in July. We've got two first class seats. The seats we have are on the west side and I've read that the east side has the better view. However, on the east side, it's a single row of seats so one of us would be facing backwards, versus both of us facing forwards on the west side.

Any opinions? Should we both be forward on the west side, or is the east side view worth one of us facing backwards?

Thanks folks.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

For me, the scenic bit is the Northumberland coast section, which is on the east, or the "left" side of the train in the facing direction as you head south.

Abs :)

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

The east side is definately more scenic, the coast, cliff tops, Lindisfarne, Durham Cathedral....

Just sit together on the left side of the train. First Class carriages on East Coast 225 trains are configured so they are 2 by 1 until halfway down the car then they switch to 1 by 2.

But if it's one of the old Inter City 125 trains then it may well be single seats on one side and double seats on the other but even then I think that switches from carriage to carriage.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

The views - coast, Durham Cathedral, are on the east side.

Most groups of 2 would book a table on the single seating side so they have a table to themselves.

However it probably won't be full so you can always move.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Have you been on a proper train before?

It really makes very little difference. The windows are big - and unless the people on the east side decide to erect a mountain of luggage on their shared table (which I've never seen), I'd argue you get at least as good a view from the west side of the train. Indeed, since your viewing angle is wider on the opposite , so you get three sets of windows ("yours", the one north and the one south), I find you always get a better view of landscape from the opposite side than people on that side: they get a better view of the landscape on your side.

But I honestly wouldn't sweat it. Look out, though, for the glimpses of York and Peterborough cathedrals (also on the east) as well as Durham.

It's interesting that the only complaints about sitting backwards on forums like this come from Americans. I doubt that's because you're obsessed with being picky over trivia: I suspect that, being unused to trains, you grossly exaggerate the importance of direction. Trains here being busy, most people just grab the seat that's free, whichever direction it's facing (exactly half face each way) : I've never encountered anyone really finding riding backwards to have a problem with it -though it sounds worrying to those who've not tried it.

Like eating black pudding.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Ignore Flanner he is talking absolute rubbish as usual.

You will find the view significantly better if you sit on the left, or east side of the train.

I wouldn't personally worry about sitting backwards on a train but it does make some people a bit sick.

In my experience there are often free seats in 1st on the East Coast line.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

.....It's interesting that the only complaints about sitting backwards on forums like this come from Americans...........

Well I am not an American and I hate sitting backwards as it does make me feel sick. So I always have to have a seat going forwards.. I also think it's great that Americans come and spend there money in this country when they have the world to choose from and we should be happy to accommodate them.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Flanner, thanks for welcoming our American friends in such fulsome fashion. You are of course speaking entirely out your posterior orifice.

If you get the option, massiek, sit on the left facing forwards. You'll see more, you can anticipate more, and yes some people find facing backwards uncomfortable.

Most standard seats are reserved and these trains are often busy, but it's unlikely all First Class seats will be taken. And some of them for only part of the route e.g. York-London, leaving you free to use them for the first two hours. Just look at the ticketing on the seats.

There are often arguments over people taking seats which have been reserved. Maybe it's Flanner and his friends grabbing whichever they want.

PS is that Flanner or flamer?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

I'm posting this from a left hand side, First Class seat, currently in Northumberland. I've done this journey many times, but on a sunny spring evening like this, it is still stunningly gorgeous. Get a table for two on the left. Sure, one of you will be travelling backwards, but it's better than playing footsie with strangers. The service and catering are superb too.

Just do it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
92 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

Great comments folks.

I had made my reservation, but the only seats the East Coast web site let me reserve were on the west side. The east side seats were open, but their system wouldn't let me reserve them online.

I thought, no problem, I'll just call and change to the east side.

Well, East Coast said no way. The only way they will let me change my seats is to show up at a train station. We arrive in Edinburgh on July 25 and I'll stop by the station the same day, but not sure if I'll be able to make the change since our trip is July 28.

I thought with the Internet and all, it wouldn't be that big of a deal for them to change my ticket, but they said no several times (politely each time mind you).

Thanks folks.

10. Re: Edinburgh to London Train - Which Side to Sit On?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:16