We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh history

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh history

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2016, 10:00
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh history

1. Tenements, known as Dickson's Close. http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/115583/details/edinburgh+80+82+84+and+86+high+street+dickson+s+close/

2. The castle has been owned by the military authorities (currently the Ministry of Defence) in various forms for its entire history and the castle Governor is the CO of the Britsh Army Second Division. Although it is now in the care of Historic Scotland, the Army still have a significant if mostly ceremonial presence there, especially in parts that are not open to the public. The castle has quite a list of interesting past residents. See for example http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/story

2. Re: Edinburgh history

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh history

As John987654321 says it was tenement blocks above with shops below. The whole street front between Niddry Street and Blackfriars Street is new. The Radisson Blu is the third hotel at the site. In 1990 it opened as the Scandic Crown Hotel followed by in 1996 The Holiday Inn Crown Plaza Hotel and since 2004 as The Radisson Blu.

There were three closes on that section, the names of which can still be seen today, (66) Melrose Close, (70) Cant’s Close and (80) Dickson’s Close.

Perhaps the best remembered shop will be Grant’s Furniture Store which sat about where the front door to the hotel is today. This building was finally demolished in 1970 due to subsidence of the land. Grant’s then moved around the corner to North Bridge. I can’t remember when they then closed. They were certainly still there in the mid-1970s

For many years it was one of Edinburgh’s infamous gap sites. The site lay vacant from about 1970 until 1987 with boarding round it. As you can see from europeana.eu/portal/record/00401/F24D38781C3… the change to today is quite dramatic. The council have gone for the “Disney School” of Scottish Architecture to replace it.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 15:10
Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh history

If you are interested in the history of Edinburgh, I would suggest visiting www.visithistoriccities.com/edcontemp.aspx which offers visitors the ability to view photos dating back to the 19th century, videos and historic information. Users can also compare contemporary street views with the past.

It gives a flavour of how the city has changed over the decades.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh history

Well done, Alan!

I can only barely remember the gap site, but I vividly remember my feeling of horror when I saw the kitsch castle going up there. It was always going to be a hard site to fill sympathetically, and it still seems an opportunity lost.

For clarity, by the way, we haven't had three hotels on the site so much as the same hotel operated by three different chains.

6. Re: Edinburgh history

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh history

There was some controversy about the so called subsidence. After a crane was used with a ball & chain for some weeks with virtually no demolition they had to blow it up using explosives. My late mother was on the 'Dig' there for almost a year but I don't believe anything of great significance was found.I will put my head above the parapet and admit I like it, [ when I lived in Tweeddale Court used to park my car on its roof car park.] unlike the piece of crap at the foot of the Royal Mile that has yet to see a day when repairs were not required since the day it was built

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh history

I quite like the "Disney School" of architecture that the Radisson has, I mean, it's the Scottish "Balmoral" style that tourists expect, as they expect you to be walking around in kilts and wearing your Tam O'Shanters. Blame Sir Walter Scott.

9. Re: Edinburgh history

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:16