We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Hi,

Myself and my hubby are visitng Scotland in 1st week of June for 5 days. We will be staying in Edinburgh and require suggesstions on what places can be covered by public transport.

We are interested in Scenic and historic places.

I have booked a day coach trip to Inverness so I would need help and recommendations to visit for the other 3 days.

I think one day is required to explore Edinburgh am I right.

Appreciate your response.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

1 day for Edinburgh would be the minimum.

Near Edinburgh is the Lothian coast, the Borders (very historic); Fife - scenic and historic; and places like Linlithgow and Stirling.

So you are really spoiled for choice.

I would do some research and find out where might interest you. Sites like visitscotland.com and undiscoveredscotland.com are good, but so are guide books.

cambs
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

if you are not returning to edinburgh each night you could consider the following

train from inverness to kyle of lochlash

bue across the bridge onto skye and on to armadale

ferry from armadale to mallaig

train from mallaig to glasgow

spend a little time in glasgow then train back thru to edinburgh

best thing about scotland is the scenery and best tof thte seenery is in the west and north

if yu dont want to travel so far there are nnice places in fire eg crail, anstruther, pittenweem and of course st andrews

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Thanks for the info peterscot.

I will have a look at the websites and also public transportation to the areas you have mentioned.

Are there any travel cards or rail cards which takes us to all these places?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Many thanks for the info beeble1022 .

Edinburgh will be our base location so we will be retuning back to the same place everyday.

I will look into the nearby places crail, anstruther, pittenweem and of course st andrews

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

The Fife villages are difficult to access without a car. What about a day trip to St Andrews ? Stirling is also a good day trip which is easily done by train- the castle is exceptional.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

We took day trips by city buses to Rosslyn Chapel and walked around the Glen before it opened. Pretty easy bus trip. Just let the bus driver know where you want to get off. Also an easy bus trip to Craigmillar Castle which was pretty cool for an almost intact castle. These are a little outside of Edinburgh, tho Rosslyn Chapel is about an hr depending where you get on the bus.

We also took a train up to Pitlochry from Waverly Station and from there a cab to Edradour Distillery and walked back to town. Then caught the train to Blair Atholl to see the Castle and then caught the train back from there to Edinburgh, this was definitley an all day trip.

We also took the 2 Hairy Coo tours which one of them was to St Andrews but this is feasible to do own your own which may give you more time to explore without having to get back to the bus at a certain time.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 23:45
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Public transport within Edinburgh is very good and I can think of enough places to keep you busy for more than one day, so don't feel obliged to go off on trips pretty much every day. And if you're doing a trip to Inverness, great, but to repeat something similar on three other days would be tiring and repetitive.

If you want to travel into East Lothian on the Borders how do you feel about hiring a car for a couple of days? While there is public transport it's not that frequent, and could be inconvenient if you have plans to string together a number of venues.

You may have discounted hiring a vehicle. But if you ask around you can get either gearshift or automatic; and driving on the wrong side isn't as much hassle as you'd think, especially if you're in no hurry in the Lothians or Borders.

Is this a no-no?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Thank you all for the useful info provided.

Here is what I am planning, let me know if I am missing anyting, welcome suggestions aswell..

Day 1: Edinburgh Sight seeing: Castle, Holyrood Palace, Dynamic Earth,

Royal Mile, Princes Street, Scott's Monument and park, Film House...

Day 2: Day Coach trip to Loch Ness from 8 AM to 8.30 PM - below is the itenary

Morning coffee stop at Kilmahog, travel through Rob Roy Country to arrive at the Weeping Glen of Glencoe, the infamous site of the 1692 Massacre

After another short drive at Fort William in the shadow of Ben Nevis, Britain's highest mountain. After lunch stop trip continues to Spean Bridge, views of Great Glen.

Follow the Caledonian Canal to Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle.

On homeward journey, pass by Inverness, through the Grampian Mountains and beautiful scenery, continue through Perthshire, Forth Rail Bridge and arrive to Edinburgh

Day 3: St Andrews and Stirling Castle - need to check the public transportation.

Day 4: Planned to cover anything missed attractions on Day one and a visit to Pitlochry or Craigmilar castle.

Day 5: Back to London

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Stirling and St Andrews are in opposite directions. I think you'll struggle to do both.

Have fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple Trips to Scotland - Recommendations on places

Oh is it.. Thanks for the info Peterscot. Then I will plan to do them on separate days leisurely ...

If I had to make a choice between the both which one do you reccommend?