We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Excelsior, MN
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

I'm a 20-year-old female from Minneapolis, MN and I'm wondering if it would be safe for me to travel to Edinburgh and through the highlands for about a week. I am very small and slender, and look to be about the age of 16! I am hoping to do budget travel, staying in hostels and such. Would it be wise or foolish for me to travel this way alone?

I am very confident about being alone in cities, I know my way around Edinburgh pretty well having been there once before (and I often study maps of the city), and have a superior sense of direction. I am also wise about when to be out, for example, not to be out alone past dark, and such.

I plan on being in Scotland 22—30 August 2012. Just in time for the Tattoo!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

Yes, generally Scotland is a very safe place. Just use your common sense about being around dark streets late at night etc and you will be fine. If you have not already booked accommodation in Edinburgh then you will find it very difficult to find somewhere for your dates which are at the peak of the Festival season . There are many other festivals on in the city as well as the end of the Tattoo. Also if you wish to see the tattoo, do book your tickets quickly as again it is almost completely sold out already.

For touring around, I would suggest joining one of the backpacker tours such as Rabbies or Macbackpackers which will give you a quick highlights of the country in a few days- generally you can choose which type/.expense of accommodation you stay in on the tour depending on your budget.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

Hi!

I agree with 3_nations above, Edinburgh is exceedingly safe. During the festivals there are thousands upon thousands of people living/working/partying/exploring central Edinburgh - you will blend in with the crowds! Plenty of groups of young people, as well as solo travellers, visit from around the World. With your prior experience of Edinburgh, you will be in a better position than most people! Keep your wits and your purse about you, and you will be fine. The busy streets mean that you are unlikley to be walking anyway particularly desserted, no matter what time of day or night.

Enjoy your trip!

Abs :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,090 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

< I am also wise about when to be out, for example, not to be out alone past dark, and such. >

You might want to reconsider that - in much of the Western World sunset is when things start. In your case that would mean being in the hostel by 8:30pm when many people around you are just going out for the evening.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

Alanrow: 8:30 pm in August? Solstice is 22 June. Right now (almost a month beforehand) it isn't getting dark until 10 pm

In August, when the festival's on, you'll find loads of people until midnight in most popular parts of town, and it'll be dark at 10 pm or later.

On a really good night in June streetlights aren't really needed until 11. or later.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,888 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

The *official* sunset time at end Aug is about 8.30

However as DerekG says, it doesn't actually get dark until later.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

Edinburgh is a very safe city and I'm thinking that if you stay in hostels you'll most likely find other solo travellers to hook up with.

7. Re: Solo travel for 20-year-old female. Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:16