We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to London train question

darnestown md
Level Contributor
197 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to London train question

Hi we will be taking a train(booking through East Coast UK train website online) with our two teenage boys in August from Edinburgh to London. I was wondering which train stations to pick. Do I choose Edinburgh Waverly? Also, do I just pick the closest London station to our hotel. Finally, is there a big difference between first class and second class. thank you very much!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to London train question

Stations are easy.

You go from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to London train question

Hi, The two stations in Edinburgh are only about 15 min walk apart. Waverley is the main and most central station. Have a look on a map and see which is the most suited to your needs.

THe East Coast Trains leave from London King's Cross.

First Class has more room (3 seats across, rather than 4) and free food and refreshments (except on holidays and sundays, I believe?). If you can get a good deal on first class seats, you may feel it is worth it for your party - it is certainly more comfortable.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to London train question

If you're lucky enough to get 4 seats round a table, then second class is just fine. But there are some seats in each carriage which have less room than a bucket seat airline, so be careful what you ask for. The seats nearer the doors tend to be much tighter for space. Look for a carriage plan.

[There's a luggage rack near each door; there are spaces between seats; there are overhead racks. Unless you're last in you shouldn't have difficulty in parking luggage before going to your seats.]

First class is much more roomy and comfortable, and it may be possible to get cheap upgrades from the conductor on the spot. I wouldn't rely on the food being better :-)

Even trains heading West (e.g. Glasgow) usually start from / end at Waverley. No advantage for you in looking at Haymarket, and there are loads of tram-works happening in the area, making that unattractive anyway.

4. Re: Edinburgh to London train question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:40