We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

Ok, so I'm a bit nervous about this outbreak in Edinburgh - I'm flying in next Thursday - supposed to be staying in Edinburgh until Sunday morning, at which point I'm heading north into the Highlands.

As much as I wanted to see/photograph Edinburgh, I'm seriously weighing the risk of going there at all in light of this news. So - I'm thinking of a Plan B. I'm due into Portree on Sunday evening, so I was thinking of simply picking up my rental car on Thursday afternoon and then heading north, hitting the EAST side of Northern Scotland Thu>Fri>Sat (on my way back from Portree, I'm going through/staying Ft. William>Loch Lomond>Glasgow for 2 nights).

Here's my question - as a landscape photographer, what might be my best itinerary - the most beauty-bang for my buck? The first night (Thursday) I don't want to try to drive too far - maybe Stirling?

Where should I go after that on Friday>Saturday> so that I end up in Portree on Sunday afternoon (and not go to the same places I'm going to AFTER the Isle of Skye) - thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

The outbreak is thought to have originated in a cooling tower in S.W. Edinburgh and has affected a fairly small area.

The towers have all been treated to kill any bacteria.

If you are staying in the city centre there should be no problem.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

worry not , the infection is more or less contained and will be totally sorted by the time you visit.Unless you are male over 50 with underlying medical problems and issues with alcohol the chances of you contracting it anyway are pretty slim.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

I'm in the "over 50 with underlying medical problems" and my hotels are on Lauriston Place - less than a mile from one of the suspected cooling tower(s).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

Why are you panicking? It is under control, the cooling towers have been dealt with and there isn't a mass evacuation of over 50's with health issues. As Unclegus said, it will all be over by the time you get here so calm down and don't miss the opportunity to see one of the finest cities in the world.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

I agree with other posters - this issue has been dealt with in a highly professional manner and the potential sources of the outbreak have been dealt with. Nevertheless, I can understand that a concern, however minor, even perhaps unjustified in the view of others, could taint OP's visit and lead to disappointment.

So, to answer the question as put, there is plenty to see and do, and plenty to photograph, on the east coast of Scotland. You could easily spend the entire three days in Fife, even just on the coastal villages of the East Neuk, which are full of photogenic spots. St Andrews, Falkland, the Lomond hills, Loch Leven. Further west along the Firth of Forth we have the Ochil hills, Culross, Stirling, and traversing east, back along the Highland boundary line through Crieff to Perth. Then the upper Tay valley with Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Strathtummel and the Queen's View, Killiecrankie. Alternatively, either to Deeside via Braemar, or explore Angus (Glamis Castle, Coupar Angus) ...

Hopefully you get the picture! (Sorry ....)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,036 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

I don't see them evacuating the area so why should you think that you would be at risk.

KEEP CALM & DON'T PANIC.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

The OP lives in Los Angeles, a major earthquake zone with a high proportion of gun-toting nutters roaming the streets. I can't understand the need to panic when you live somewhere like that

I think by their reasoning, I should avoid visiting Los Angeles in case I get caught up in an earthquake

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,350 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

Jings, I have to go to LA next year, should I reconsider

Scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

No panic from anyone here in Edinburgh. In fact if visitors are panicking and cancelling trips then now is the chance to negotiate a discount.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legionaires' Disease Outbreak - change of itinerary?

Do not worry about the outbreak, a good dose of Scottish cuisine will fix any ill feeling.

As for you itinerary, may I suggest the following. Arrive on Thursday night and spend Friday in Edinburgh. Pick your car up on Saturday (am) and head north up the A9 to Inverness. Once past Perth, the road is very scenic and there are great places to stop like, Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Blair Athol, and Kingussie. The drive itself should only take 3-3.5 hours, but allow longer to stop, lunch etc. Either stay in Inverness, or head another 30min down the road A82 along the banks of Loch Ness (better landscape) to Drumnadrochit or thereabouts for Saturday night. Then on Sunday head towards Invermoriston and take the A887 turnoff to the A87 (very scenic), and on to Kyle of Lochalsh, this is where the Skye bridge is. Then it is only about 40 minutes to Portree, but plenty of places to stop and take photographs.

On your return from Skye, take the ferry service from Advassar (Skye) to Mallaig, and the A830 which will get you to Fort William. From Fort William I would suggest heading towards Oban (via the A828 then A82), then take the A816 to Lochgilphead, then the A83 to Inveraray. Depending on your time (a night in Inveraray is great). Leaving Inveraray, keep following the A83 which will take you to the banks of Loch Lomond, and from there you just need to follow the signs for Glasgow and Edinburgh to get yourself back.

On the map, the above looks like a lot of driving, but other than walking, driving is the best way to see some of Scotland's scenery, and the above also means you will not back track anywhere.