We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day travel from Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Day travel from Edinburgh

Hello there!

I'm going to Edinburgh next week and it's going to be my first time in Scotland. Do you guys know if there's a place worth visiting around the aera? I'm thinking of doing two or three days in Edinburgh and one day on the countryside. I'm on a tight budget so it would be great if the tickets to go there aren't too expensive. Or maybe if there's a place really close to the city, I could go there by bike.

Let me know if you know a place, thanks in advance :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Pedal or motor bike? And what sort of Countryside? "Countryside" starts just to the south of the City Bypass in the form of the Pentland Hills

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Do you want to see the coast, mountains, castles.... Would you like to join a tour group for the day? Try www.rabbies.com for small group trips

Edinburgh is a very hilly city for cycling but there is a good network of paths along old railway lines and along the river.

You can take the city bus for £1.40 and go walking in the Pentland hills where you will get good views of the city but it barely counts as real countryside.

If you fancy the seaside, then you can catch a train to North Berwick in less than an hour and spend a day by the beach.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,872 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

You can take a pedal bike on ScotRail trains (if there's space available) so you could get the train somewhere then have a bike ride.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

There is also the union canal that goes from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk and the Falkirk wheel.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

I'm interested in scenic places, either it be cliffs or mountains or lakes.

Joining a guided tour might be a nice idea, it looks like it's doing a lot of places in just one day. I just hope my budget is going to allow it though. Do you guys know what's the difference if I travel with a tour group or alone? Is the amount pretty much the same?

I found different other companies for guided tour, it's going to be hard to make a choice. It seems like most of them are offering either trips to Loch Lomond or to Loch Ness. Which one is the best? What are the differences between the two lakes? Which one is the more scenic?

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Okay… Looking at tripadvisor's list of tours, I saw that one: http://www.thehairycoo.com/tour/FREE+Scottish+Highlands+Tour/2

Looks amazing and most of all free :). This I like. It almost goes to Loch Lomond (up to Loch Katrine) with escale to Stirling and Aberfoyle. What do you think of this tour?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

I thought we had a "top ten" question and answer about Loch Ness. I don't think anyone amongst the regulars here would recommend it. It's a long, long way to see a body of water in an attractive but not spectacular setting, and there are so very many equally or more attractive settings within only an hour or so of Edinburgh. Not least, Loch Lomond! So if it's an either/or decision on those two, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs (hills) for sure.

The really spectacular "mountains" of Scotland are to be found on the west where the action of glaciers has left steep slopes and jagged ridges, but these places are not really within a day trip of Edinburgh. The hills become (generally) lower and more rounded to the east, but there are plenty of attractive sea cliffs along much of the coastline, and no shortage of lakes.

I like to take visitors along the coast of the east of Fife, stopping at the fishing villages of the East Neuk, at St Andrews, and at one or two of the inland attractions there such as Falkland, the Lomond hills, or Loch Leven. Several tour companies do this as a day tour.

Alternatively, the Border abbeys and the Tweed valley makes a good day, or the Lothian and Berwickshire coast, or the upper Forth - Culross, Dollar, the Ochil Hills, Stirling. I'm not sure whether there are any organised tours covering any of those routes but I'm sure it would be possible to do these by some mix of public transport and cycling.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

The Hairy Coo tours are well reviewed here and elsewhere, but they are "free" only in a theoretical sense. You are expected to pay something to them, but how much is left up to you. Unless something went disastrously wrong, I would feel morally obliged to give the same amount as I would have paid for one of the more conventionally operated tours.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Thanks John for your good answers.

Yes, most of the touring companies go to Fife and St. Andrews but I wasn't fully convinced with the pictures…

I know that the hairy coo expect us to pay an amount but I was thinking that this amount would still be lower than what I would pay with a conventional tour… Maybe half the price or something like that. And, if I would pay 36£ for a conventional tour, I would still be expected to leave tip at the end.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Actually, for that tour Hairy Coo seem to say (my paraphrase) "pay £33 (adult) if you are happy, and nothing if you are not", whereas the "highlands" tour (which as you noted goes only to Loch Katrine) says "pay what you like" with a hint of what they expect in the form of "£37 value". Regardless of their unusual payment model, their customers seem to be very pleased with what they get.

The Undiscovered Scotland website is very good at providing insight into what you can expect at each destination and is pretty comprehensive.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/