We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day travel from Edinburgh

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Day travel from Edinburgh

Hello there!

I'm going to Edinburgh next week and it's going to be my first time in Scotland. Do you guys know if there's a place worth visiting around the aera? I'm thinking of doing two or three days in Edinburgh and one day on the countryside. I'm on a tight budget so it would be great if the tickets to go there aren't too expensive. Or maybe if there's a place really close to the city, I could go there by bike.

Let me know if you know a place, thanks in advance :)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

Yes, most of the touring companies go to Fife and St. Andrews but I wasn't fully convinced with the pictures…

Not sure what pictures you've seen but this is a beautiful area which is why tours go there and why we suggest it to visitors.

It's not the highlands and if you are looking for more 'rugged' scenery then you should look at areas north of the central belt. The Trossachs would be a good compromise. Close to the central belt but has the lochs and mountains you appear to be looking for.

Loch katrine would be a good bet. You can go on a boat trip and the mountains around there are stunning.

Re tours. I haven't been on these but I wouldn't be comfortable taking the tour and leaving less than the 'going rate'.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

An easy (and short) day trip from Edinburgh is to take the train to North Berwick. North Berwick is an attractive seaside town with a beach, small shops, restaurants, etc.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

I wanted to make a reservation for the Hairy Coo's Highlands tour but by mistake I did it for their "St. Andrews and Whisky Tour" :/… Maybe I should just leave it that way…

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

(They charge you 29£ for this one)

15. Re: Day travel from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:16