We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Hi, I need some advice. I'm planning my friends hen party and want to organise a 'bar crawl' of sorts so we don't end up wondering around aimlessly. There are 18 of us and we won't be in fancy dress. We like the style of the bars on George Street however I feel that this would be a very expensive night if we spent all our time in this area, was thinking of using our kitty money to have an area in one of these bars reserved with some pre ordered drinks for us (maybe for the first bar). Are there any bars near George Street that would be suitable for our group but with better prices so we could mix and match between the two?

If anyone has any 'bar crawl' suggestions I would be very grateful! We also need a club to end the night, nothing too cheesey, just something with good chart music if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Check out the following:

Grand Cru on Hanover St

http://www.grandcru-edinburgh.co.uk/

99 Hanover St

http://www.99hanoverst.com/

Ricks on Frederick St

http://www.ricksedinburgh.co.uk/

po na na on frederick st or garibaldi's hanover st for chart music clubbing.

All within a couple of mins of George St.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Hi!

Ok, yes, George st bars are expensive. Fri/sat you will often have to queue for entry and may need to pay entry. For this reason, bar crawls are not easy.

There are a couple of Wetherspoons bars on George St - Standing Order is the biggest. It is a crush on fri/sat nights, but the drinks flow very cheaply. Some early evening drinks there might be a good way to get you in the party spirit.

Plenty of the bars allow you to reserve booths/areas. They will often throw in queue-jump. Opal, Amicus Apple, Le Monde all do this. Check out their websites for more details.

Le Monde is a good bet because it has a number of different style bats over lots of floors - but you only queue outside once.

There is also a club in the basement - Shanghai, where you could end your night. It plays chart music.

Enjoy your night!

Abs :)

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Thank you for the information!

We're having a meal at Gusto at 6.30pm so I was thinking of heading to Standing Order for drinks beforehand.

Once we've had our meal - heading back up George St to Tigerlily, possibly Alexander Graham Bell, Candy bar. Does this sound ok?

There appears to be quite a large gap on George St with no bars (according to my street map) so I'm a little bit worried that we'll have to spend 5-10 mins in heels before we hit the next bar! - any advice?

Thank you :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

The most time between bars in George Street will be about 60 seconds if walking. You should be fine! I hear heels are fairly popular around those parts. Just mind the cobbles if you go off piste....

edinburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Misses out standing order ... Alex graham bell is a better Witherspoon and across the road from gusto ... Gusto is nice but food can be hit or mis ... Browns next door a better bet IMHo

Friday night most of the Montpellier pubs. ..tigerlily , indigo yard etc have deals until 8ish ... Grand cru is a good shout and le mode can be good ..

Enjoy ... George stret pretty good and doesn't have to be expensive

edinburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

.. Another great pub is cafe royal and voodoo rooms up stairs for good music.. Not far from east end of George street

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

Thanks, Gusto is booked as that's where my friend has chosen.

The reason I was going to start at the other end of George St before the meal was to break up the walk as it's 20mins from our hotel and feel with roadworks etc and the fact theres 18 of us, a taxi would be too awkward.

It's a Sat night so unfortunately we'll miss out on the offers. We love Tigerlily but couldn't reserve a table after 6pm - should we expect to queue/pay to get into Tigerlily? or just the club?

Thanks

8. Re: Edinburgh nightlife advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 06:17