We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels and sights

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hotels and sights

Any ideas on romantic hotels close to the the mile and the castle??

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels and sights

Witchery

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels and sights

It appears to be an increasing trend to just state questions without any 'thanks in advance' etc.

These forum questions aren't answered by paid staff, but good folk giving up their personal time, therefore 'please' and 'thanks' can go along way and will likely result in you getting better responses from those in the know.

Suggest you do a little research tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186525-Edinburgh_S… and if you've got any further questions will try and answer.

P.S. Witchery obviously good shout :)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels and sights

Alternatives to the Witchery include the modern, stylish Missoni, and the quirky Hotel du Vin.

Question a bit bluntly put, and a little more detail (esp. budget) would help us to zone in on the best answers, but OP has the opportunity to express thanks after advice has been offered.

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels and sights

I was hoping to take my partner to see some of the sights in Edinburgh, especially the castle and the mile. I was looking at a short break maybe Friday to Sunday and my budget depends on the quality and clossness of the hotel to the sights. All I was asking was if anyone had any suggestions for hotels in that area

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels and sights

We stayed at "the George" in George street and I don't know if I would class it as romantic but it did have a very Scottish feel with the male staff in kilts and the location is great.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels and sights

But the George is on the opposite side of town to the Castle.

The Scotsman is a top class option, or the Balmoral also 5*

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels and sights

Hi,

The good thing about the centre of Edinburgh is that it is very compact. Even though the George is on the "other side of the tracks", it is only a 10 minute walk (or less) from the Royal Mile.

Other romantic options on George St include Tigerlily and Ricks. They are both more boutiquey than classical. For traditional romantic splendour, I would check out the Balmoral and the Witchery.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels and sights

If you want a hotel really close to the Royal Mile or Princes Street it's likely to be quite expensive. The witchery is excellent but not cheap. Are you out to impress or are you on a budget?

Travel in Edinburgh by walking or occasionally by bus; Edinburgh buses are plentiful and a day ticket at £3.50 shouldn't break the bank. I doubt travel costs in town will make much impact on your budget. And few people use a bus or taxi to transfer between the Mile and Princes Street: all of one bus stop, maybe two.

That would allow you to think about hotels which are not on Princes Street or the Royal MIle without compromising. Try 10 Hill Place.

Your other main Royal Mile choices will be the Missoni (boutique, but quite big) or the Radisson (more your average hotel). There are loads of apartments and suites.

August being Festival time expect Everything to be packed. Got a date in mind?

PS a nice non central place to visit might be the Botanic Gardens, approx a mile North of Princes Street. This is like a small Kew Gardens. Two cafes and a restaurants. Art Gallery. No pagoda. Nice views up to the Royal Mile Skyline. Nice planting. Good place to chill on a sunny afternoon.

9. Re: hotels and sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh