We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
W K
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Music

Hi, my wife & I are staying in the city centre for 3 days from Sat 14th July, we are in our 40s & are not interested in clubs or loud music pubs..

I am hoping some of yous can tell me of pubs/bars in the city centre that will have some music to suit our tastes (60s70s80s, country,folk etc) all Im looking for is a pub with a live 2-3 piece group playing in the corner, where you can get a pint of ale & arent surrounded by alco-pop drinking teenagers...Just somewhere to have a pint & a chat with a bit of music in the background....

Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music

Hi Wully - your best bet would be somewhere like Sandy Bells on Forest Road, folk sessions most nights, quite a nice crowd - not a "mad for it" teenager in sight!

Otherwise Guildford Arms sometimes has bands on; if not, a trek along Rose St should find you something to your tastes pretty quickly.

You might even be straying into Jazz Festival time by then - if so, plenty will be going on in the Grassmarket / Chambers St areas of town.

Finally, there is a wee magazine ("Gig Guide") you will see in loads of pubs - will give you a clue what is happening at any given time.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music

Be careful with Rose St, stag do's often frequent it at the weekends unfortunately.

The Tass on the High St and The Blue Blazer on Spittal St are worth checking out too. Latter also does an open mic night on Sundays (not sure if every Sunday or not)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Music

check out www.list.co.uk or www.theskinny.co.uk

Slightly too early for the Jazz & Blues Festival though

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music

The gig guide guys have a webpage at www.gigguide.co.uk.

There is something on at the Jazz Bar in Chambers Street every evening but the style varies from laid back vocals to hyper hip-hop. The standard of the musicians is very high.

I'm not sure what's happening at the Tass these days. It seems to have had a makeover, and the Monday session seems to have vanished.

Sandy Bell's is always good, as is the Royal Oak. The Reverie has music most evenings too.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music

Captains Bar in South College Street will have what you are after and maybe a poet or two or The Royal Oak across the main road at the top of Infirmary Street also will have Folk music.

6. Re: Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16