We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation

Hi all,

I am looking for accommodation for 2 nights in Edinburgh next month, August. I have a tight budget to spend on accommodation and I don't want to stay in a hostel or B+B. I am willing to go as far as I have to outside the city once there is public transport in / out. I have searched on many websites and selected distances outside city centre but am unable to find anything in my price range. I know its peak season and there are a couple of festivals on during the month of August but we have travelled in August before to other countries and got a good standard of accommodation for a competitive price once we went outside the city centre.

Can someone suggest to me a town or suburb within easy reach of Edinburgh that I should be looking at?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation

"A couple of festivals " is a vast understatement in terms of August in Edinburgh. Many places impose a minimum 2-3 night stay.

If you don't want B&B or hostel but on a limited budget then you have to be realistic as to how far you will have to travel.

What is your budget in UK £ per night? There are Travelodge rooms available at around £80 per room per night for say 14th August.

Once you get into the suburbs it tends to be more B&Bs than hotels, unless you go out of town altogether to somewhere like Dunfermline, Linligthgow, Falkirk, North Berwick which all have train connections. But you need to factor in the time and money cost of train journeys to and fro each day

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation

couple of small hotels in Inverkeithing easy train ride to Edinburgh Easy to get to from airport.Also plenty buses from park and ride sight

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation

Have you tried the visitscotland.com site? It's the main tourist booking office.

The Carrington Guest House in Pilrig Street (wa;lomg distance from the city centre) is very traditional and never seems to run to capacity - singles from £25 per night so maybe worth a try.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation

.. 'scuse the typo .. I mean 'walking' distance :o)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation

I'd check out North Berwick

Look on the ScotRail site for train times its very convenient to get direct to the centre of Edinburgh

http://www.scotrail.co.uk

What is your budget? I think you'll find a b&b/guesthouse to quite likely be a better option than a cheap hotel..

Ireland
Level Contributor
315 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation

Holiday Inn City West is available for the 2 nights we are looking for at €347 room only with parking. My brother and his partner are joining us on the 2nd night and we can all share a room which will be a great saving.

Failing that I think I will go with Dunbar or Falkirk which are both a 25min train ride into Edinburgh. If we don’t get to visit Stirling Castle while we are in the Lough Lomond area we can visit it on our way back down so I think Falkirk will be a better option if this is the case. The Premier Inn is available in Falkirk for €163 room only so I may book that if the Holiday Inn City West does not work out as planned or depending how the rest of my nights accommodations goes I will book the MacDonald Inchyra, Falkirk for €222 B+B.

Looking forward to returning to Edinburgh. Thanks for all suggestions and train links

7. Re: Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:15