We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

I contacted Edlets initially via a tripadvisor posting. First impression was great - very helpful, and they provided me with a ton of options.

I freely accept my share of the blame - in retrospect, I should have asked more questions, and made fewer assumptions - lulled into a false sense of security, perhaps, by years of successful internet bookings all over the world!

I found a place I liked, and I paid the deposit over the internet by credit card.....and that was when things began to go horribly wrong. I got an e-mail from the owner of the flat asking for immediate payment (almost 5 months in advance) of the full rental cost, by international wire transfer (a pricey option). There was no mention of how we would get access, which was a big issue, since we were arriving late at night.

I e-mailed Edlets, explaining I felt it was mis-leading to accept deposit by credit card without communicating the terms for payment of the balance. Their response was that the only option was payment by paypal with a 3% premium. I asked if it would be possible to either cancel or transfer my deposit to other accommodations, since I wasn't comfortable with the payment terms, or the tone of the owner's communications. This was less than 24 hours after the deposit was made. Answer : no.

I wrote a lengthy, and very measured, e-mail to them, pleading my case, and asking them to show some customer consideration commensurate with the nature of the business they're in. Answer: NO. No options or suggestions offered other than pay the full balance now by wire transfer or paypal or forfeit your deposit.

At that point, obviously, forfeiting the deposit seemed a very small price to pay not to have to do business with these clowns. So sad to see that kind of attitude in a service industry, which inevitably reflects poorly on their industry, their city and their country.

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
304 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

Wow! I likewise did a booking through Edlet for 3 nights in Oct. There will be 5 of us in a 3 bedroom apartment on the Royal mile. So far everything has gone well....keeping my fingers crossed now. Our internet information clearly stated that there would be a deposit (which the other couple and ourselves were able to split 50-50, and then it stated the balance would be due 2 months prior to arrival. The deposit amount showed up on my credit card statement as viewed on line. About 1 week later, the owner of the apartment contacted me to let me know that the balance was due by Aug 26. We had the option to pay by paypal or we could give the credit card details over the internet (which I hesitate to do) or we could give her the credit card details by phone. We are to contact the owner by email to set up a time for a telephone conversation to pay the balance over the phone by credit card. Hopefully everything progresses normally. Incidently, the Edlets web sight clearly states the payment procedures for every listing (I looked at several before making my final selection. Just by the shear volume of possibled accomodations, it is hard for me to believe that Edlets is not a legitimate booking service.

rvflyer

Singaopore
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

I just got a message from them in my inbox, promoting their services.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

your email inbox or your tripadvisor messages? are you certain they are genuinely edlets if you didnt contact them thru usual channels

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

I'm not suggesting they're not legit - just that they forgot to attend class in Customer Service 101!

And I do get that they are just the agents, and each flat owner has their terms.

Hopefully all works out well for you - let me know.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,804 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

I think this is the main problem - they ARE just agents and seem to be let down on occasion by bad landlords. Rvflyer9's response deals with the answer succinctly saying that th website states the payment procedures for each listing....Perhaps you were unlucky Mahoutma? Nevertheless a bad experience which will make you want to tell everyone about it!

Woody x

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

Hi mahoutma,

Sounds like a frustrating and upsetting situation for you, and looks like you have learnt a valuable lesson. It is a shame that we have to be so careful when doing dealings over the internet.

If the payment terms were not clear, could you appeal to your bank/credit card and demand a refund. Certainly if the deposit was over 100GBP then you should be able to proceed in this way.

I hope you found/find a great alternative, and that it doesn't spoil your overall impression of Edinburgh :)

Abs

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

Ciao Mahoutma,

That's a real shame! I live in Edinburgh and have booked several apartments through Edlets for my friends and family and have never had a bad experience.

All my family come from Sardinia in Italy so they all had to pay with paypal or bank transfer which charged them but that was to the places they booked not Edlets. Sometimes they were able to pay by credit card but of course there is a charge for that from the credit card....how you expect to pay without being charged??? In Italian this is an "ossimoro"...oxymoron!

Anyway, don't let it ruin your trip! The city is beautiful, the people are wonderful and the food is fantastic, which is a good compliment from an Italian....as for the weather...well the sun is even shinning today in Edinburgh for once! :0)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

I would second what Abs says and get in touch with your credit card company and say you want a refund. They will send you a form to fill in and send back to them. I think in most cases the credit card companies will refund money, so it's worth a try.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 18:23
9. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2012, 16:35
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edlets - avoid, or at least beware!

Mahoutma, it would be good if could let the forum know how Edlets now deal with your problems. Hope it will be a happy outcome for you.