We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh & Loch Ness as our Most Northern points????

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh & Loch Ness as our Most Northern points????

OK -

We have 2 weeks to tour UK. Do you think E & Loch N should reasonably be our most northern points? that's what our traveling friends tell us - & we'll be touring in only 2 weeks. Do you think that ought to be our top touring point?

OK - so with that - how many days to spend in Edinburgh - We're a couple touring with our 2 girls, ages 8 & 10 --- so you know, they may not be THAT excited?

With that, where do you think we should stay? Should we stay one night in Edinburgh or somewhere in that part of Scotland?

Hubby is in high gear -but girls & I are not so physical, frankly. 2 month tour, remember.

Should we stay in Southern Scotland in a Central point or what? is there much more than the castle to see in Scotland?

Where to stay?

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh & Loch Ness as our Most Northern points????

Catjammies

There are hundreds of castles in Scotland, the most famous being Edinburgh Castle but with Urquart Castle, Eileen Donan Castle, Balmoral Castle, Glamis Castle and Stirling Castle equally as famous. Before I can answer your question I need to know what your interests are and how much time you have and how much driving you are prepared to do. Here are a few websites that may interest you and helpwith your choices

www.historic-scotland.gov.uk

www.haggisadventures.com

www.kidsedinburgh.com

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,888 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh & Loch Ness as our Most Northern points????

Catjammies

I really think you need to do some homework if you are to get the most out of your trip to Scotland. It appears from your post that you don't know the first thing about the geography or the history our nation. A wee bit of preparation would make all the difference. Have a look at

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ to get some idea of what you might want to see and do.

Then we can help you plan your trip.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh & Loch Ness as our Most Northern points????

I very much doubt if one day in Edinburgh with and 8 and 10 year old would be sufficient time to see a fraction of the attractions or places of interest. There is a lot for them to do and see and if they are busy and happy it makes the holiday easier for all the family. Have a look at the Visit Scotland website www.visitscotland.com as it will give you information on a number of events ongoing/ places to visit as well as accommodation in Edinburgh and throughout Scotland.

Also have a look at the Edinburgh Pass. www.edinburghpass.org as this lists a number of attractions etc which you can visit for a set one, two or three day price.

If the family is interested in Historic buildings etc then have a look at such websites as www.historic-scotland.gov.uk or the National Trust for Scotland www.nhs.org. It may be worth becoming a member of either of these groups as this could on a 14 day visit save you quite a sum.

Do some research on the web and I am sure that you will see that throughout Scotland there is a lot to do and to see it just depends on your interests and application.