We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

Derbyshire, england
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

Hi,

I am wanting to book NYE in Edinburgh as my husband would really like to visit and when is a better time than NYE? Could someone help me decide which accommodation to book? I have coveted a stay in both these hotels but would one of them be more advantageous than the other with regards to proximity to the festivities? Can you see the fireworks at any of these hotels or does one of them offer a more luxurious stay than the other?

Libby

Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Craigmillar Castle
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Castles
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

Witchery is more 'in the thick of it' so to speak.

Its right before the Castle esplanade and if you walk outside you would be able to see the fireworks at the Castle.

Glass House is at top of Leith Walk, not so good a location IMO - not just for fireworks but in general. Its also next door to a Wetherspoon pub and nightclub, which I would personally try to avoid (can get a bit messy outside at night)

Cant comment on them as a place to stay, however Witchery has the history and likely to be more romantic - if that is something you are looking for.

And remember NYE is called Hogmanay up here by the way :D

scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

Witchery has the atmosphere and the location. Only a few rooms so book soon. It is much more special than glass house which is like any other good hotel anywhere in the world.

Derbyshire, england
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

Thank you for your response KR, and I'm sorry for the school girl error! Typically I should have checked the availability before posting - as the witchery is already booked up!!! But thank you for your info re the glasshouse.

I have other places in mind for Hogmanay, tho potentially in England. I may book The Witchery for my hubbies bday in Nov tho. It does look c romantic.

4. Re: The Glass House or The Witchery by the Castle for NYE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:17