We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
132 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

Hi

My wife and I are hoping to visit our daughter who is working in Edinburgh for Summer during the month of August.The accomdation seems to be around 200 sterling in the Majority of places.

We are on budget and wonder have reviewers any ideas. We are also willing to stay outside and travel in to city but we are not familar with the area's.

Our daughter tells us she will be very busy with festivals in Aug.

Can anyone help us with this problem.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

I would suggest looking at Laterooms.com or Venere.com but please remember it is always best to book via the B&B/Hotel direct rather than these sites. These booking agents take a lot of commission for one phone call and always better to liaise direct with accommodation owners. If there are no contact details for the B&B/Hotel on the website advertising the accommodation, a commission is being paid - anything from 10-15% of the total cost of your stay. Still, it will give you a quick list of what is available and a rough price. Bear in mind Glasgow prices also increase during the Festival as hotels know they get the overflow from Edinburgh!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

The bus to Glasgow is only £10 for an off peak return, but it takes about 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

I'm not convinced that Glasgow prices rise much due to the festival. Its currently possible to get a saver rate at the Charing Cross Premier Inn in the middle of August for £59 for saturday night and a mere £29 for Sunday. The George Square and Argyle St Premier Inns are a bit more expensive, but still amazing value!

premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/GLAARG/glasgow-…

Level Contributor
132 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

Thank you all for those helpful suggestions

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

How many days are you planning to stay and what is your exact budget. Maybe I can help, as I'm keen to get out of here and I live in Old Town.....

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

I live in Glasgow and often use the train to travel across to the festival. It works fine! I have even seen concerts that run in the evening and got back afterwards to go to work the next day.

It is even nicer to stay in Edinburgh if you are able to book in advance and find somewhere reasonable, but if you do take the train back you will likely be in the company of lots of people returning from the festival. I remember when Scottish Opera were playing there one year, one train was half full of musicians with musical instruments as they returned to their base in Glasgow!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

The last train to Glasgow during Festival time leaves at 00:30 ... no need to run out of a concert as soon as the fat lady stops.

18. Re: Edinburgh Accomdation assistance August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:16