We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HIE Royal Mile train station

Nomad's Land
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
HIE Royal Mile train station

We'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Royal Mile and we'll be coming down by train from Aberdeen. Which train station would be suitable for this hotel?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

You will arrive at Waverley which is Edinburgh's main station.

It is just off Princes St and close to the Royal Mile.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
427 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

Waverly would be where you get off. That Holiday Inn is in the other side of the hill from the train station. Leave the station by whichever exit you are closest to and make your way up to the Royal Mile. Head east on the High Street. Take the second right (there are no left turns on this part) after Bridge Street and walk down to Cowgate. Turn left and the Holiday Inn Express is just a little ways.

You have to get an access code from the front desk in order to use the wifi. The lift is as slow as molasses and doesn't always go to the floor you want it too.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 15:08
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,455 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

just to clear things up from Clemrick post.

take the market street exit from the train station, cross the road at the exit(pedestrian crossing there, walk tp the left till you join Jeffrey street (about 100 yards max) this is street that veers to the right and follow that round to the junction which joins the Royal Mile , you should have the Tass pub on one corner and the Worlds end on the other, cross the road to the Worlds End ( great pub for food BTW)and you are on St,Marys street, walk down the hill to the junction , turn right at the junction ( the Travelodge is here) and the HE is a few yards further on. should take less than 10 minutes walking

Edited: 21 July 2012, 16:12
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

Ooops "you should have the Tass pub", now called No1 High Street.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,455 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

jings when did they change that.I was in the Worlds End a couple of weeks ago and actualy walked past the former Tass, never even noticed. mind you i did have a young lady on my arm.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
427 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

Thanks, unclegus. That's the exit where my directions fail. I was trying to leave the specific exit unspecified so the OP wouldn't have to worry about which exit. For some reason I always get lost in Waverly.

The directions we had when stayed there had us cross North Bridge and continue on to Infirmary St. and down to Cowgate. Which also works! I was trying for a shorter way.

A reverse of your directions is how we went back to the station when leaving.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

Waverley has a raised walkway which runs North to South - you can see it from the concourse, above the front of the ticket office. See 'mezzanine bridge' on this map and you can easily find Market Street.

networkrail.co.uk/documents/3891_MapEdinburg…

Unclegus gives good advice. The quickest route, and the minimum up and down hill (Edinburgh is a 3D city)

8. Re: HIE Royal Mile train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 10:17