We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Looking at flats to let, and am looking at a number of flats in the Leith area because of costs. However, I am a bit concerned with the location - is it safe? is it well connected with public transportation? How easy is it to connect with the airport and train station for daytrips, considering we will not have a car?

Ocean Apartments which I am particularly interested in, and also gets excellent TA reviews, is at 2 Western Harbour, Midway, Leith, Edinburgh, EH6 6PN

Thanks.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

There are frequent and reliable buses to the city centre- number 22 every 10 minutes, takes about 20 minutes to the city centre depending on traffic/ time of day. The bus stops at the main shopping centre which is about a 10 minute walk to your apartment. Going back in to town, it stops within walking distance of the main station but is on the opposite side of the city from the airport- it will take you about an hour from the airport to the apartment taking the airport to city bus then making a connection.

The area is full of new apartments and the aforementioned shopping centre, as well as good choice of restaurants within about 10 minute walk. If you stray too far from the shore the area goes quickly downmarket but if you stick to the newly developed areas you will be fine.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

I live in Leith so I'm biased obviously. Leith has changed out of all recognition in recent years and I get hacked off at the bad press Leith continues to get from some folks in Edinburgh, people who probably haven't been near the area in years.

Western Harbour is potentially an enormous development. There is already a real mixture of housing ranging from fairly cheap through very expensive. Nearby you'd find a big ASDA supermarket, and a few restaurants.

Leith (according to one of its local councillors) now contains the most 'creatives' proportionately in Edinburgh - many small web design print publishing architecture companies.

Transport to town *from western harbour* includes the #10 which services the very area, and #11, #16, which pass by. Each goes into central Edinburgh by very different routes

Zoom in on this map and you'll get the idea.

lothianbuses.com/images/…RM120630.pdf

Take the #16 a few stops East and you can visit any of:

Ocean Terminal (shopping centre, access to the Royal Yacht Britannia)

Commercial Street and Commercial Quay (lots of excellent restaurants)

The Shore (i.e. the Water of Leith as it approaches the harbour. good pubs, many more excellent restaurants, art galleries, small shops and deli's)

Leith is pretty busy on Friday and Saturday nights, very popular with both Tourists and locals and well deserves its reputation for good food or a decent pint. Food ranges from chains like Pizza Express through gastropub food to two Michelin starred restaurants.

Looking out my windows I can see 8 pubs and restaurants on the Water of Leith, and another three in Dock Place. There are shedloads more if I simply walk round my block..

3nations' recommendations regarding buses refers to the half dozen routes which stop at Ocean Terminal. The 22 is the most frequent and in fact even more frequent than he suggests - every 5 or 6 minutes most of the day.

There are two buses going to the airport. The #35 which is a standard bus takes well over an hour to wend its way between the Airport and Leith; and the #100 Airlink which takes about 30 minutes from the Airport directly to Waverley Bridge.

If you're thinking how to get to the flat, take the airlink to town then look for preferably the 10 or perhaps the 11 or 16. There's a bus stop at the corner of ST Andrews Square where the 10 stops.

You could get the #35 or the #22 but these stop at Ocean Terminal leaving you with a longer walk than is necessary.

The bus maps are useful - but thanks to tram works and the fact that buses don't stop at every possible stop, a bit difficult to interpret to begin with. Transport staff will keep you right when you get off the airport bus.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,985 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

We rented an Edlets flat in Leith at 5 The Moorings which was excellent.

edlets.com/accommodation/…5_the_moorings

The only downside was that the flat backed onto the main road (Commercial Street) and we found it a bit noisy in the morning with traffic - other than that felt perfectly safe and secure (there was secure entry system at the front door) and there were lots of nice places to eat out and good pubs too. Quick bus link into town and Ocean Terminal was 5 minutes walk away. Go for it and buy some ear plugs if your chosen flat is a bit noisy!

I may add that it didn't bother us that much as we stayed there twice and recommended it to family too - we live in the country so ANY traffic noise is more than we are used to but the flat itself was excellent.

regards

Woody x

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Thank you for all this information! This is one of the best TA forums I have been on!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Marco Philips and his family stayed at Ocean apartments in April after a year long planning there trip to Edinburgh on this forum. As far as I know they enjoyed there stay. If you are interested Send me a PM and I can give you his direct email.

I t does have a very good bus service almost to the front door and an Asda [Wallmart] hypermarket within easy walking distance. Some of the apartments have great views over the River Forth and Forth bridges,

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
788 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Hello, Albert

I stayed at The Ocean Serviced Apartments last April with my wife and two kids (11 and 16). The place is new and clean, with very comfortable and well equipped rooms.

The staff is very nice and they always try to be helpful.

The apartments are located in a very nice part of the town, really tranquil and safe.

The last stop for the Lothian Busses Route 10 is only a few yards away, so in just ten or fifteen minutes you can be at Waverly or George Street.

You’ll also be near to ASDA, the Ocean Terminal Shopping Mall and some nice restaurants.

I’ll definitely recommend this place.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

Thank you Marco. Just what I was looking for.

8. Re: comments on Leith area for flat rental, please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16