We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

First off let me say that we did a similar trip back in 2010 during the worse winter on record but had a magical time so this time we hope to branch out a little more. All lunches are just general ideas of places I've found that look interesting, none are set in stone so feel free to suggest. Thanks for your time!

12/21 – Arrive Edinburgh, check into Capital Residence, dinner at Castle Terrace, pubs

12/22 – drive to Glasgow. Terry’s tattoo’s at 10:00. Lunch at Republic Bier halle? Check into Glasgow Grosvenor Hilton. Drive to Stirling (1 hour) tour castle, go to old quaint bar we found last time and have scotch.

12/23 – Drive to Perth, tour the famous grouse experience at 11:00, perhaps a drive by Drummond castle for pictures, head to Tullabardine for 3:30 tour. Perhaps lunch in Perth (the roost?) back to Glasgow, maybe dinner at Waxy’s.

12/24 – castle day:Bothwell Castle

Craignethan Castle

Douglas (Ruins)

Dumbarton Castle

Dundonald Castle

Newark Castle

Stanley Castle (ruins)

Dinner at Guy’s if open.

12/25 – Merry Christmas to us! Drive to St. Andrews (2 hours), lunch at the Peat Inn or Playfair restaurant. Walk the old course. Explore town. Back to Glasgow, dinner at Blytheswood Square.

12/26 – check out of Glasgow and into Edinburgh Macdonald Roxburghe. Lunch at Mussel Inn. Either hit the countryside for touring, or just a little touring Edinburgh and hitting the tourist shops, go to Scotch Whisky experience and buy/drink, perhaps a ghost tour and dinner at Wedgeworth? Also, at least a drink at the Beehive for old times sake…

12/27 – Edinburgh castle in the morning. Pork sandwiches for lunch at Oink. Drive to Craigmillar castle (2.5m SE of Edinburgh) drive back to Edinburgh – dinner at Bagpipes and Angels.

12/28 – to Oban! Tour the city and tour the distillery. Either late lunch or early dinner. Last night in Edinburgh – walk the pubs, enjoy looking at the castle lit up.

12/29 – home

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

23/12 - Drive to Crieff rather than Perth and you'll be fine.

Although I would question going to Perth from Crieff then to Tullibardine and then back the same road to Glasgow.

It isnt a large distance just not so logical. Lunch in Crieff? Or Gleneagles?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Quite honestly, I didn't realize it was Crieff I needed to go to instead of Perth. I may be backtracking, it's just that I booked the Famous Grouse tour before I realized that Tullabardine was also open and so close so it made sense to do them on the same day.

I'll check out restaurants in Crieff and Gleneagles - thanks for the tip!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

22/12 Have I got this right? Edinburgh-Glasgow-Stirling-Glasgow. You would be much better trying to do Edinburgh-Stirling-Glasgow.

Oban would be better as a sidetrip from Glasgow and only if weather is favourable.

St.Andrews would be easier as a sidetrip from Edinburgh.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

It's like a ball of string.

The other thing to check is what will be open on Christmas Eve / Boxing Day - restaurants may be closed on Boxing Day as they can't get fresh supplies.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Kenko - the main reason for doing Edinburgh - Glasgow first is because my fiancee wants to get a tattoo of his clan motto in Scotland and the best shop we found is in Glasgow, and they close on 12/23 until after New Years. So yes, Edinburgh - Stirling - Glasgow would be better, but I am trying to work with what I've got. :)

Although, the shop is open from 10 - 4, so maybe you're right and we should get up early and do Stirling on the way. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for the replies!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

You need to definitely check and book your restaurant selections especially on 25th and 26th when many places shut.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Just wanted to make you aware that Craignethan Castle, Dundonald Castle and Newark Castle are all closed in Winter. As for restaurants in Gleneagles, there's a wee hotel which ain't too shabby....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

3 Nations - all dinners (except's Guy's whom I haven't heard back from yet)have already been booked, only the lunches are open.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Chris - thank you for the heads up, perhaps I will swap out one for Rothesay Castle which is open in the winter. Otherwise we will take pictures from the outside!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotland for Christmas - critique my itinerary

Hi. 28th - are you really planning a day trip from Edinburgh to Oban and back? It's a 3-4 hr trip each way. And remember that daylight hours are brief in deepest darkest December! I'm not sure I would plan on such a long day trip. Glasgow to Oban would be more doable.

Abs :)