We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hogmanay

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hogmanay

My husband and I are making a trip to Edinburgh for Hogmanay! We're both super excited about it, but we're having some difficulties with planning our trip.

Obviously, rooms are double sometimes triple in price. We were prepared for that, but we are now thinking about staying somewhere on the outskirts the city centre and traveling to town for the festivities.

If we stay outside of Edinburgh, is there a bus transport system of some sort that would be running so we can get back to the hotel after midnight? Or should we just suck it up and stay in the city centre?

Is the idea of driving into Edinburgh and finding a public car park to park the car in a good idea? I'm worried that traffic is going to be so congested once the festivities are over that we'll be sitting in the car for ages.

Also, should we go to the Street Party, The Concert in the Gardens or the Keilidh?

I'm just looking for any advice and tips that'll help make this trip a lovely, stress-free experience!

Thanks in advance!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hogmanay

There are normally lots of free buses going out of town that normally start around 1am till about 4am on the 1st January. Driving in Edinburgh even for the locals is terrible, so if you are looking for a 'Stress Free' experience take that one of the list. Unless there is a band you feel is a 'Must See' don't go for the Concert in the gardens. Bearing in mind the very changable weather we have during December & January the Ceilidh could be a good option to keep out of the cold & wet

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hogmanay

Car parks in the centre of town are either metered on the street or are multi-story. Either way you pay, and finding spaces can be difficult. Just as difficult in the evenings when loads of people will be in town. And finding your way round town is 'interesting' due to tram works.

If you stay far enough out of town, you can park on streets at no charge.

edinburgh.gov.uk/info/…2

Yes there are night buses and they'll operate over Hogmanay. But stay within their range - if you're well outside Edinburgh you'll be stuck.

New year buses may not use quite the same routes as night buses normally do - but won't be far different from those listed on this link. And there are maps.

lothianbuses.com/find-your-bus/timetables.ht…

Edited: 31 July 2012, 13:01
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hogmanay

If you look in the Corstorphine area - 3 miles out of the centre, the New Year night buses go right along the main area past the Zoo so there is no change. As noted above, they are free of charge and there are lots about for New Year.

There are several guest houses along that way and lots of people heading back in the same direct either to a guest house or people who stay in Corstorphine so you won't be alone! Most places will do a minimum 3 nights because of how popular New Year is but definitely cheaper than the hotels in the same area and certainly not 3 times the normal price (like the hotels do). Really depends whether you want the facilities of a larger hotel or are just looking for a comfortable place to stay within easy reach of the city centre.

Tucson, Arizona
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hogmanay

Thank you all SO much for the replies! I really appreciate it! We'll be staying 2 nights (maybe 3), so we're going to the Torchlight Procession, and we might go to the Loony Dook in the morning.

I'm going to look into the Corstorphine area and see what comes up. I'm just relieved to know that if we do decide to book elsewhere, we can find somewhere close to the bus route and be ok and not stuck in Edinburgh! Thanks for providing the bus routes too.

I haven't decided if we'll go to the Concert or the Keilidh. I might just wait and see who is going to play the concert and then book our tickets then. (Thanks MikeBR!) Is it best to show up to the festivities as early as possible to avoid lines? As long as we see fireworks, we're good!

Are all the restaurants closed on New Year's Morning? Just wondering what to do for breakfast!

Any other "must sees" while we're in town that you'd like to recommend? We're pretty simple and easy to please. We love walking around and exploring so anything like that is always nice! We also love a good meal, so any restaurant recommendations would be great too!

Thanks again!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hogmanay

Try and get to the Botanical Gardens, they are great.

If you enter the gardens via the eastern gate, you could then leave via the west gate and explore Stockbridge, via Inverleith park (which gives great views up towards the city) Plenty eating choices in Stockbridge and only 10-15 walk north from Princes St - but has the air of a village despite the proximity.

Obviously the castle is pretty much at the top of most people's lists. I could go on but it really depends on your interests - there's alot of variation to please most people!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hogmanay

If you're in a guest house you will get breakfast in the morning anyway. Most Chinese and Indian Restaurants are also open along with Edinburgh Zoo which is always pretty busy on 1st January. There won't be much else open on 1st January though. You may not get anywhere just for 2 nights either. As most places do a minimum of 3 nights stay at New Year.

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hogmanay

I often recommend to friends the Premier Inn at Newcraighall, just on the city limits with Musselburgh. It's just off the A1, for driving, there's a train station opposite which gets you into Edinburgh Waverley in 7 minutes and the 30 night bus stops outside. There's a fairly decent pub (with food) attached, there's a health club next door which you can buy a day pass for, and a large shopping centre, with coffee shops within 5 minutes walk. Beach and harbour at Musselburgh 15 minutes walk away, if you need to blow away cobwebs. Corstorphine is much nearer to the airport though.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
430 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hogmanay

Had a quick look at Premier Inn in Musselburgh and coming in at £113 or £117 per night for 3 nights during New Year. Quite a good price for a hotel - less than most in Edinburgh I suspect but again cheaper option guest house /B&B probably around £80 per night. Again down to budget and yoru own personal preference.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hogmanay

Quite a few b/bs in Portobello or Leith Links served well by public transport And a lot of on street parking can be found Have also notice a few b/bs on Queensferry Road

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hogmanay

Leith Links is slightly handier for travel into the centre of Edinburgh - 10 minutes up Leith Walk, amybe slightly longer via Easter Road. Also very handy for local restaurants on The Shore - there are many excellent. Few parking restrictions except maybe some places on main roads.

Lots of B&Bs in Leith. You might want to check the Crioch or Herriott Park. There are also serviced apartments which might work out better if staying any length of time: Herriott park or Oakhill apartments.

And loads of others if you search TA or whatever.