We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tattoo seating - cold?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tattoo seating - cold?

Thanks to all the answers to my questions here we are now all set to head to your exciting city for 2 days. Packing is difficult as we are hand luggage only and I wonder do we need some very warm gear for sitting at the Tattoo. How cold can it get (we have little foam cushions)? We also have capes in case of rain but I would like someone who has sat there to comment on what is the best way to cater for all weathers!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,331 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

You need one of these ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_suit

Edited: 05 August 2012, 09:48
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

Thanks RonaldoC -- they are already packed -- it also an essential piece of gear here on this Emerald Isle!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

lol Ronaldo .. but so true.

If you don't have a lot of space then you could sit on newspapers to keep warm, wrapped in a plastic bag if wet, and bin them afterwards. The seats are on a raised platform and the wind tends to strike from below! A warm jacket, good shoes and wooly socks and a hat should keep the rest of you warm and dry. I don't think you are allowed umbrellas so if it's raining take a large black bin bag to cover your knees.

Have fun .. the weather is set to improve next week so hopefully the sun will shine for you :o)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

Went there last night and thankfully it was dry, not too cold with little wind. We were at the late performance and it got colder the longer we sat, especially when there was not much in the way of crowd participation. Some of the seats in the new stands in sections 1 - 5 and 12 - 14 seem to be closer together so that should help reduce wind chill but wear layers of clothing that way In the warm evenings you can take something off, but always have a rain proof outer layer as it is exposed and in Scotland the rain could start at anytime. In the rain it can get really cold and miserable but if dry and warm will be a great experience.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

You have to remember that The Castle is there because it is in a high defensive position above the city and you are exposed to the wind and rain. The new £16m grandstand is a huge improvement on what they used to have, you are much more protected from the wind than before. You should however wear multiple layered clothing that traps air with a wind and waterproof outer shell. When I went last year I was wearing two t-shirts, a sweater, a light fleece, a high quality North Face jacket, woollen hat, windproof gloves, walking boots and waterproof trousers. I also took a foam hillwalking seating mat. I was comfortable, all around me there were people shivering cold; don’t kid yourself that because it is a pleasant warm summer evening in Edinburgh that you will be OK. You won’t, with shower of rain and the sun going down the temperature drops dramatically. You will not be allowed an umbrella and it can get very very cold.

By the way the sun will not shine for you, sunset is just after 9:00pm and the show sharts at 9:00pm!

Edited: 05 August 2012, 13:25
Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

I was there for the 1030pm show Saturday 04th in Section 9. There was no rain :).

I wore a light jacket which was good enough but when show was almost over my hands were so cold.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

Thank you all for the advice -- will now add in a few more layers and gloves and hats --- we are booked for Wednesday night and the weather forecast is looking good --- a big HIGH moving over the area -- hope they are right!!

8. Re: Tattoo seating - cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 10:17