We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

Which carrier would you recommend for getting a prepaid sim card for my phone? We'll be visiting Edinburgh for 4 days and London for 10. My phone model is a US T-mobile Galaxy S ( …xda-developers.com/wiki/…SGH-T959 ) which is unlocked and rooted. I used it in Italy last year on Wind Wireless and it worked fine on 3G speeds, so I assume it will also work in the UK on most carriers?

I'm probably going to drop by Carphone Warehouse in Saint James Centre after we arrive near where we're staying (is that the best store to visit?). I'm mostly interested in getting a GB+ of data for a reasonable price (maybe £30 or £40 if possible). Perhaps being able to make a few calls in the UK would be a bonus, but I probably wont have much voice usage.

I also intend to tether my Android tablet to my phone on occasion if no reliable wifi is nearby (and I find hotels often don't have reliable wifi, even when they claim they do).

Thanks for any advice, especially as a recent poster seemed he didn't get what he wanted when he was choosing PAYG plans.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

You'll have to ask in the shop, whats best varies almost daily, no one here (unless they work for a mobile vendor) is going to know the best plans for you.

The folks in the shop should also know who has good coverage. I'd expect everyone except 3 to be on a par for coverage (and all better than 3) but you'll likely find 3 has the best data plans.

Coverage also can be very location specific, it might be that O2 overall has the best coverage in Edinburgh, but for your hotel its Voda ,and O2 almost impossible unless you hang out of the window. No way to know until you try it.

If your mobile worked in Italy it will work here subject obviously to specific location related coverage

Edited: 02 September 2012, 19:23
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

Thanks for the information. I'll ask at the shop what they have when I arrive. I figured that my phone would work if it had worked previously in Europe, but it's good to confirm.

Cheers.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

Go to a Carphone Warehouse. They are everywhere.

The day I arrived in London for the Olympics I went in to a Carphone Warehouse told them what I wanted and got advise for a Vodafone prepaid sim with a month BIS service for £15. This included 1hr of free calls to anywhere. Also got a prepaid Lebara sim for £5 but can't recall now how much credit that had.

When we got to Edinburgh both sims worked without problems. Hotel we stayed at had wifi so used that too.

4. Re: Which prepaid Sim/pay-as-you-go is recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2013, 10:18