We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

aberdeen
Level Contributor
403 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

Hi, I am coming down to Edinburgh in October to spend a couple of days sight seeing.. We are staying at the Premier Inn at Leith and will be heading back to Aberdeen on Monday and wonder how busy the traffic will be.

It would be really handy to know if it would be better leaving before 4pm, after 6pm or if it really won't be a problem.

If anyone can advise it would be much appreciated

Another wee question is that as we arrive on a Sunday probably a couple of hours before checking in is it easy enough to get parked centrally in Edinburgh on a Sunday and do you pay for metered streets on a Sunday?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

We also visit Edinburgh from Aberdeen quite often. We always stay at the same place which has parking. Once we arrive we leave the car. Traffic in Edinburgh is a nightmare and trying to get parked anywhere around the centre is a total problem. As far as I know you don't have to pay to park on a Sunday, but it seems everyone takes advantage of this and it's still difficult to find a parking place.

Do not travel in the rush hour, we did this recently, coming into Edinburgh at 5.00pm. We could hardly get moved and accidently took the wrong lane, of course we were punished for it and no one would let us out. We spent about 25 minutes trying to get back to where we needed to be. Travelling around Aberdeen is a breeze compared to Edinburgh whose road works and one way system will give you a total headache and GPS is useless.

Edinburgh is a great city, it's just not car friendly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

I'd leave before 4 if possible. Rush hour (4-6) can be torture at the moment.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

Hi,

I have far more experience of commuting from Edinburgh to Fife (A90/M90 over the Forth Rd Bridge) than I would ever have wanted, and I would definitely avoid pm rush hour heading north.

North is the busy direction in the evening, and it is horrendous from 1600-1730.

Parking is not metered on a Sunday, and you should find a space.

Frances-Jane is right though, Edinburgh streets are complex and somewhat non-sensical at times. And you will be punished if you accidently find yourself in the wrong lane.

Abs :)

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
688 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

Abs140 is spot on.

Avoid the Forth Bridge at those times.

Although its better than it used to be when they had toll booths to stop at its still slow, even more so if someone breaks down or has an accident.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

From Leith, your easiest route is along the shore then via Telford Road onto the Queensferry Road. It's not in central Edinburgh where the roadworks are, and it's easier navigation that earlier posters have suggested. (They're right that you don't want to take a car into the centre of town if you can avoid it).

By 4:30 pm traffic is getting busy and they're all heading out of town like you are so it'll be slow. Barnton roundabout is probably your biggest bottleneck. Busy until at least 6.

Parking: you might be lucky and find a parking space on Sunday on George Street; now the Festival's over sanity has returned. But beware one way roads and traffic restrictions.

There are sometimes spaces on (the rather narrow) Thistle Street. Failing which you might drop down (Northwards) to Queen Street (a few places) or Heriot Row (lots).

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

.Drove from ocean terminal to Queensferry Road last nite at4.30pm took me 40mins Traffic was bad

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

I would leave Leith by 3pm at the latest and as others have suggested keep to the coast road [South shore of the river Forth] all the way to the 'Banton Roundabout' and then turn right to join the Queensferry Road. If you don't get away then wait till after 6.30 pm before setting off.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
403 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

Thank you very much to everyone that has commented.

Information like this I think can help greatly - how many times have I sat in traffic and thought 'maybe I should have left earlier/later?!?'

My plan I think will be to leave the car once arriving and use public transport to get around and make sure I either leave by 3pm or after 6pm on the Monday

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

The Premier Inn, Leith is a relatively new build at Western Harbour, between the Port of Leith and Newhaven Harbour. It has parking. There is a #10 bus almost outside the door; there are other buses #11 and #16 within a hundred meters or so. All of these go into town.

[Google maps is a little outdated, showing loads of development work in progress; most of that has been completed and the Hotel will not be subject to construction noise.]

To the east of you is Ocean terminal and a whole pile more buses; plus shopping plus the Britannia.

There is little problem parking in Leith. It's the middle of town that's the problem, during the day, Mon-Sat.

I live in Leith, and I rarely take a car into town; transport is very easy. I get about 30 buses an hour past where I live.

When you catch up with shut-eye, try a few places in Leith: go along to The Shore. There are loads of good restaurants and pubs. Find Coburg STreet. There's the Coburg House gallery and workshops, lots of artists and artisans, and there's the Water of Leith Cafe Bistro, one of the best casual cafe/restaurants in Edinburgh. Look it up on TA.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
403 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: commuter traffic - leaving Edinburgh

Really appreciate the extra info on Leith. I was hoping, weather permitting, to have a wander around Leith and then an evening meal in the area on the Sunday. I have found a walking route that can be downloaded online which looks interesting(at the moment I can't remember where I spotted it!!)

On the Monday my plan is to get a bus and head over to the palace of Holyrood in the morning and then to the Wedgwood for lunch. I'll decide nearer the time whether I will head home mid afternoon or wait until after commuter traffic.