We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip through the Highlands

Latrobe...
8 posts
Save Topic
Trip through the Highlands

Hoping someone will advise me whether I am taking on too much...My husband and I are traveling through Scotland for our 30th Wedding anniversary. I have planned the following itinerary. Drive from Edinburgh to Mallaig, sightseeing in Sterling, Ben Nevis, Ft. William and Glenfinnan on the way. We will then take the ferry to Armadale on the Isle of Skye, where we have the Toravaig House booked for two nights. We will then travel through Kyle of Lochalsh toward Ft. Augustus and onto the Speyside Whiskey Trail, spending one night at Cairness House south of Fraserburgh. Then we will wander back toward Edinburgh where we will stay for two nights and then head home. Does this seem doable or am I packing too much into each day? It is 5 days of sightseeing, with two of those on the Isle of Skye.

Latrobe...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip through the Highlands

Also... this trip will be 18/92012 through 25/9/2012 and we will be driving. Thank you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip through the Highlands

One day? "Drive from Edinburgh to Mallaig, sightseeing in Sterling, Ben Nevis, Ft. William and Glenfinnan on the way. We will then take the ferry to Armadale on the Isle of Skye"

If sightseeing means driving past then you'll be fine although its still a long day

If you actually want to see some of the most beautiful areas of Scotland (Trossachs, Loch Lomond, Glen Coe) then this is too much.

PS its Stirling :)

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip through the Highlands

It is a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive non stop Edinburgh to Mallaig allowing for traffic/ slow roads. Therefore you don't have much sightseeing time if you are to make the last ferry at 6pm from Mallaig (recommend you book in advance) but it can be done if you must fly through this beautiful part of the country. The driver won't see much though!

Latrobe...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip through the Highlands

Sorry about the spelling, knew as soon as I hit send.

We are very early risers (6am usually), so I thought we might be able to take our time and still make the 6 PM ferry.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip through the Highlands

Sunrise at the times you are travelling is just before 0700 so its going to be dark when you start off (!!)

Really and truely its too much IMHO

Woody x

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
688 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip through the Highlands

Agree with Woody, another vote for this is too much. Rethink required IMHO

7. Re: Trip through the Highlands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 10:16