We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas markets

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
christmas markets

Hi,

Could anybody give me an idea based on previous years when the christmas markets start, as i'm thinking of visiting 31st nov 2012 for a couple of days. would this be to early.

Thanks.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: christmas markets

cjsandss, Frances-Jane can fight her own battles regarding reviews but I'll tell you how I take it when looking at Restaurant and Hotel reviews. There is a considerable possibility that companies can fake good reviews for themselves, or the opposition can put up a bad review. Some places will provide a helpful template for people to use, if they've never tried TA before. For those reasons I'm wary of first-time posters.

You acquire reputation through making regular postings. Obviously there's a first time for everything, but most well-meaning reviewers keep on posting.

And I do know there are battles between two Edinburgh organisations each having part of the Christmas franchise.

PS Why would anyone expect a temporary outdoor market to be superior to all the mainstream shops selling Cristmas goods? OF COURSE you're going to get people selling cheap goods. You'll get the same people who take stalls at other markets all year round - but they wear Santa Claus hats! The real question is whether the lights and the schmaltz work, for you.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: christmas markets

Hi. I'm in Edinburgh at the moment, and I'm a true tourist this time. The I've been at the markets most years in the past decade. This year is certainly bigger, with a 'European market' that extends from Princes Mall to the National Gallery, including a new market on St Andrews Sq. The old favorites are all here, coffee, gluwein, sausages, cheese, crepes, jewellery, Christmas ornaments, wooly hats and more. Most of the stalls have been cloned a few times, so rather than being more variety, there is simply multiples of each stall. This cuts down queuing considerably, but is a little frustrating.

Great to get you in the Christmas spirit!

Abs :)

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: christmas markets

Been coming for a few years now and this year is the best yet. Still overpriced goods but more selection and the atmosphere is fantastic

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: christmas markets

Im still trying to figure out when the 31st of November is?.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: christmas markets

Was it not Septober?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: christmas markets

I'm astonished at the above criticism of this year's revised "event". I am no fan of these things, but Mrs J is, and I dutifully accompany her on a tour several times each year. Previous years' markets have struck me as very weak, basically consisting of a few trinket stalls and far too much gluhwein and frankfurters. The near-invisible local presence has been an obvious embarrassment.

The new organisers have clearly produced a more balanced event with much wider appeal - witness the enormous crowds! The use of additional locations such as St Andrew's Square has been very successful, as has the organization into areas with similar themes - not least the children's area - and there's a lot more entertainment (spiegeltent, rides, skating rink, &c) on offer.

Even this curmudgeon can see that this year's event is not only offering a lot wider range, it's about twice the size of previous years' markets. It's so much harder to avoid!

Mrs J tells me that the quality of what's on offer is substantially higher than in previous years. She was especially delighted to find that her favourite Peebles-based boutique had set up a stall in the Castle Street section offering their standard stock at discounted prices. My wallet wasn't so happy. I only wish it wasn't so good ...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: christmas markets

I agree with the positive comments, am impressed by this year's market, so much bigger and better even if a few stalls are duplicated. And many German ones are back again, so still feels like a traditional market. The wheel is a vast improvement offering enclosed carriages and I only wish I was brave enough to have a go at the star flyer ... everyone I know whose been on it loved it and wants to go again! Got tickets for Limbo for later in the month, really looking forward to it.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,720 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: christmas markets

Been to the Markets this weekend. Just as good as ever and really busy. The addition of the new Children's Market is a bonus. Great atmosphere and lots of people. However, not cheap, but never was, but still lovely to pay the markets a visit.

29. Re: christmas markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17