We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
437 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me as I am not finding the information I need using keyword searches.

I'm planning on visiting Edinburgh on Thursday 29th November, from Newcastle for the Christmas fair celebrations. I've been a few times so I know what to expect on this day. I was planning on this being a day trip however when checking my diary I noticed St Andrews Day is the 30th.

Before I book my travel, I am wondering whether it is worth getting an overnight stay so I can be there for the 30th? I've never been in Edinburgh on this day so I don't know what to expect. Google only tells me that there are 'celebrations' for St Andrews Day in Edinburgh but not what actually happens? Will there be anything for a visitor to see and do during the day?

I would need to leave by about 8pm so it's events/entertainment on during the day that I'm looking for.

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

Last year there was free entry to Edinburgh castle on St. Andrews Day. Definitely worth doing if you haven't been before/it happens again. Its quite pricey otherwise.

Things like Ceilidhs are going to be going on no doubt, but they will be evening activities. I've watched fireworks too on this night and if they are happening, you might catch them before 8pm.

I guess it really depends what you are expecting out of it. In my experience its a low key day, certainly nothing like St. Patrick's day in Ireland.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

Traditionally, meaning until about 5 years ago there was no real acknowledgement of the day. St Andrews Cathedral and Castle also have free entry, although it has to be said that although the Cathedral is in theory a place where you pay an entry fee there are no staff on duty.

I always see this as a politically generated celebration by the people in the shortbread senate, others may have a different view.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

At least we don't (yet) say Happy St Andrews Day with a little help from Clinton's Cards.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
437 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

so not worth hanging around for then. Thanks for the help guys, I shall book my tickets to return on the 29th.

5. Re: St Andrews Day in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 02:17