We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payment for accommodation

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Payment for accommodation

Hello,

I'm wanting to book holiday accommodation in Edinburgh in a self contained flat. Of course I am paying a deposit on booking, but the agency wants the remaining balance to be paid 6 weeks before arrival. I've never heard of this before - is that common in the U.K.? I want to make sure it's legit.

Katie

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Payment for accommodation

Which Agency? Some just take their percentage and then you negotiate directly with the owner. Do you have owner details?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Payment for accommodation

Thanks for the advice. I don't have the owner's details, I think it's all done through the agency. Is it usual to pay holiday accommodation 6 weeks in advance in Edinburgh?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payment for accommodation

Being Edinburgh based I don't know because I don't rent properties. But I do know some agencies have good reputations, others not, so maybe you can mention the agency?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payment for accommodation

Ah ok, great, thanks. It's George Goldsmith. Their properties look really nice!

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Payment for accommodation

Is it the 6 weeks that's the problem, or paying up front at all? If you pay the balance on arrival that puts the owner at financial risk should you not turn up. If I'm booking somewhere in Europe I pay a deposit and I usually pay the balance maybe 4 weeks beforehand. If it's a package through a holiday company they may want money earlier than that.

For that reason it's important to have insurance so you don't lose out if you're prevented from coming.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payment for accommodation

when I have booked self catering accommodation anywhere in the UK I have usually been asked for a deposit on booking and the balance six weeks prior to the holiday, but these have been through major recognised holiday home operators.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Payment for accommodation

Ah ok, so it sounds like it might be fairly standard then. Thanks guys :) Have other people found the same thing?

In Australia you pay 50% deposit on booking, then pay the balance on arrival. It was the same when I travelled to the U.S. and Canada, so I'm not used to paying in full in advance. I just wanted to make sure it's normal and legit.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Payment for accommodation

Its very common to pay the whole amount prior to arrival, and not just in Edinburgh but worldwide. I often rent though VRBO in the States and final and full payment 4-6 weeks prior to arrival (after a 10-25% initial deposit) is the norm.

Are you paying by credit card so you are protected?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Payment for accommodation

I don't know this company. There is one mention on TA, part of a thread complaining about an agency Edlets, and praising Goldsmiths.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k19…

You might contact the person who made that post?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Payment for accommodation

Thanks very much guys, this is very helpful. We do tend to do things a little differently down here in Oz, so it's good to confirm with people.

I did see that thread - very encouraging. Good idea about contacting that person, cheers.