We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb. weather vs. London

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Feb. weather vs. London

I'm thinking of visiting Edinburgh during the last week or two of February. I've been to London then and thought the weather was fine. How differerent is it in Edinburgh? I live in New England on the coast, so I'm used to windy and damp, but I'd prefer to go somewhere where the weather's slightly better. Pick a different time of year, or am I fretting over nothing?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

No One Can Possibly Know.

If a certain type of weather is mandatory, choose somewhere else, weather in the UK is extremely unpredictable and you certainly should not imagine that because you went to London and the weather was "x" at that time of year, that's what its always like at that time of year. It could be colder, warmer, wetter, drier, sunnier, cloudier. All on the same day.

In general Edinburgh will be colder on any given day than London, but thats in general, not specifically, it could be the other way round, and since no one knows what London weather will be like, that doesn't help :-) A few years ago (2008 IIRC? it was snowing in Edinburgh in April and 20 deg C in London. But it could equally be freezing in London and 10 deg C in Edinburgh. And it might not rain for weeks, or it might rain every day.

Does this help? :-)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

A cold, sunny, blue sky day in February in Edinburgh is hard to beat. However, Joe sums it up. It's pot luck

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

<<< or am I fretting over nothing? >>>

Unless you had your heart set on lying on a sun lounger improving your tan, I would say you are fretting over nothing.

Remember, people in northern Europe have had thousands of years to develop their cities. Edinburgh has lots of reassuringly tall and solid buildings that deflect the worst of the weather; lots of closes to duck down if need be and many indoor attractions should the weather turn unseasonably inclement.

True - there won't be many pavement cafes in February, but there will be other compensations. It's not sometimes known as the "Athens of the North." OK - it doesn't have a Mediterranean climate, but neither does it have rioting on the streets every other week.

Go. Enjoy. There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing......

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

Thank you for the patronizing reply. I was asking for a general idea -- Vermont, for example, is colder and snowier at any given month than in Rhode Island. I am aware that weather is changeable and unpredictable. I've been to London several times in February/early March and lived near Wales for a year, so I'm not a complete noob.

So, no, your reply wasn't very helpful, actually.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

On average Edinburgh some 5 degrees cooler than London because of Latitude etc. When I was young I had a cousin who visited every summer from London, I was happy wandering about, he was cold.

In Winter things are different. Yes average temperatures are lower, but Scotland often gets cold crisp weather that London rarely gets. As joe says ...

I've been to Amsterdam in winter, had subzero weather with blue skies and it was fantastic ...

I also lived West of London, and because inland it was much more frosty and cold, much clearer skies - London's weather is moderated by the city itself and is a few degrees warmer as a result.

Not sure if that helps.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

Derek G: That helps a lot. Thank you!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

Hi.

Just to add, having visited Newport in February, I found it horrendously cold and wintery compared to Edinburgh. Edinburgh is likely to be Warner than east coast New England at that time of year, but it will be darker and could have anything from sunny blue skies to complete grey drizzle.

Abs :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

What it is unlikely to have is weather that is predictable more than a few hours in advance - so you may get snow (but normally not New England snow), grey damp days that suck your soul from your body, bright sunny days that make it feel good to be alive and everything inbetween

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

London likely to be marginally 'better' in terms of being slightly warmer, however its almost certain neither will be warm as such (as in, with temps much above around 12c)

If the weather is really important, i'd consider a different time of year. May and June traditionally good months (not this year however) alternatively, September can be nice, and obviously August for the Edinburgh festivals and Fringe.

Newport, RI
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feb. weather vs. London

Thanks, everyone, that's very helpful. What I like about visiting London at that time of year is I get a slight jump on spring -- everything is a few weeks ahead of us in terms of crocuses and daffs being either in bud or blooming. It holds me over for the next month at home. I am no fan of winter and we walk everywhere when on vacation, so I'll keep thinking about it ... I have a feeling that April might be a better time, but the fares aren't on sale. The other option, for your amusement, is southern Arizona. Not quite the same!