We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomadation

M
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Accomadation

Sorry, just noticed my incorrect spelling of Accommodation but I could not edit the title for some reason.

We are a couple in our 50’s travelling to Edinburg, Dublin, etc (from San Francisco). Will be in Edinburgh for 4 days/nights beginning the second half of November, 2012. Would like recommendations for hotels, B&B, or service apartments with reasonable rates (no hostel and no Astoria!) with easy public transportation access from airport as well to the common tourist attractions. We are not interested in the bar scene. More inclined towards culture, history, nature kind of things. At this moment, Waverley Place, Princes Street do not mean anything to me yet. Also, if 4 nights are a bit too much for intown visit, any day trip suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited: 22 October 2012, 22:23
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomadation

4 days is a very short visit to Edinburgh, Given a chance we could keep you amused for years. Re hotels, what sort of budget are you considering? then we can point you in the right direction. Edinburgh is fairly small for a city with a wonderful public transport system and the airport is only a 20 minute ride by bus to the city centre. We do have a mountain in the middle (Arthurs Seat), as well as a nature reserve, 4 castles within the city boundary. an 'Old Town' dating from Pre 1500 ce and a new town which is over 250 years old. lots of museums if you can tell us your interests, art gallery's covering most tastes

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomadation

Main cultural themes are history, art, music.

Lots of history from the Castle down the royal mile to Holyrood, and an excellent museum.

4 major art galleries and a number of minor ones.

2 major venues for classical music and a few more smaller ones; three venues for theatre or shows or ballet.

Lots of outdoor space as outlines by others; and the Royal Botanic Gardens, well worth a visit.

Loads of excellent restaurants, bistros, cafes. Many found near the Royal Mile, the New Town, and (northwards) in Leith.

We can point you at listings for events or suggest some highlights if you're more specific about your culture.

PS Arthur's Seat a mountain? It's a fantastic hill with rocky parts (an old volcanic plug) but at less than 800 feet it's an hour's puff from Holyrood, but it's no Everest ... recommended for the views.

Best if you find a map and a guidebook - our suggestions will make more sense.

M
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomadation

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am looking for something mid range, something like Holiday Inn, Sheraton. A little bit lower or higher is okay. After all, once you close your eyes, a clean room is not too different from another.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomadation

I agree with Mike and Derek - there is so much to do and so much history in this city, even after thirty-odd years I'm never lost for some new part to explore. But in the whirl of a four-day visit, you might find it worth taking a day for a short (emphasize short!) trip out of the city. A number of tour companies (see the "Things To Do" part of the site for recommendations) offer such trips to St Andrews and Fife, or to Rosslyn Chapel and the Tweed valley. These will give you a small glimpse of how much Scotland has to offer and how varied it is.

Regarding hotel, really you are spoiled for choice in that part of the market. Your two chains pretty much mark the lower and upper ends of mid-market in the UK. At this time of year, and after a poor summer's trade due to the Olympics, they will all be anxious to fill as many rooms as possible, so there will be deals. Amongst the major chains, the Radisson Blu and the Carlton are exceptionally central, the Sheraton is a particularly large (and in my view rather bland, "corporate") hotel on the west side of the centre. Jury's Inn and the HIE are within a stone's throw of the Royal Mile. The Caledonian at the west end of Princes Street is one of Hilton's flagship hotels and is just completing a refurbishment.

You might also look at smaller hotel groups such as the Apex hotels, or the Hotels du Vin. If you feel like going to the upper end of your price range for something special, some of the boutique hotels in Edinburgh are very good - the Missoni and the Tigerlily are consistently well-rated.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 08:48
edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomadation

as you will see from the previous messages there is a lot to do and see in the area around Edinburgh Castle / Royal Mile / Old Town so it may be worth looking at www.royal-mile.com as that will give you information about a number of attractions / places of interest etc

With regard to accommodation there is a wide variety of accommodation / prices from Hotels to Speciality lodgings and it may be worth looking at the reviews at

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186525-c3-Edinburg…

By staying in the city centre it will give you more time to explore the city as and when you wish and there are also numerous choices with regards to restaurants and entertainment on offer there,

M
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomadation

Thank you all once again for the nice suggestions. I know a city like Edinburgh certainly has a lot to offer. This 4 night stay is just to sample the local flavor. It reminds me a trip from Rome to Florence years ago. On the train I casually mentioned that I have been in Rome for 3 days and I have seen everything. An elderly lady heard it and retorted, “I have been here 30 years and I have not seen everything.” Indeed, I have since been back to Rome 3 more times! And I have not seen everything in San Francisco even though I live here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomadation

I am fond of Ten Hill Place (hotel) in Edinburgh, but the Radisson is also a good suggestion because of how central it is. But Edinburgh is a relatively small city and unless you wind up in one of the outer suburbs, most places are walkable or a short bus/taxi ride to everything you are likely to want to see.

I can't wait to check out the renovations to the National Portrait Gallery the next time I'm back in town. The National Galleries of Scotland, including the modern art museum, are also well worth a visit.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomadation

Has2b,

Hopefully this will be the first of many visits. For future reference May and June are good times to come with generally our best weather and around 18hrs of daylight to go exploring. Not too many tourists and good hotel prices.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 17:34
aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomadation

http://www.premierinn.com/en/search!execute.action

Always worth a look not fancy but nothing wrong with them.

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomadation

I visited Edinburgh with my husband for the 1st time last December,28 - 30th 2012,so had even less time there than you will.It was a very brief visit,and we saw what we wanted to on that visit,but definately need to return for longer and see more of this fab city.

We stayed at the Edinburgh City Centre hotel which actually is about a 15/20 min walk into the centre and most of the sights.I would recommend this hotel and will return to it when we visit again.It's located in a peaceful area (no noise at nite),was good value for money we thought and it used to be an old maternity hospital so has some history to it.The rooms were adequate with all we needed and very clean.It has a small bar and restaurant also.We didn't eat there in the evenings as we prefer to eat out,but the breakfasts were very good.Lots of it and many choices.The staff were helpful and friendly and you can leave your lugguage there also,if like us,we had to check out,but still had some time to sightsee before we got our flight home on our last day.

We caught the Airlink bus from the airport to Waverley Bridge by the train station (last stop).It's £3.50 single or £6.00 open return and takes about 30 mins.Then got a taxi to hotel,and did the same on our return to the airport.

We managed to fit in on our break,a trip on the sightseeing bus,the Scottish Whisky Experience,a walk on the Royal Mile,walk around the outside of the Castle,Mary King's Close,a visit to see statue of Greyfriar's Bobby and the graveyard,Edinburgh Dungeons,2 nice evening meals and a few pubs along the way.

Looking forward to returning to see much more..........