We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tram-way

Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tram-way

How is the city Tram-way project progressing, I was in Edinburgh this time last year and it seemed further back, than when I had visted the year previous.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tram-way

The new tram/metro system in Blackpool was also delayed, and when I used it last month they still didn't have a clue how to operate it.

Lot's of delays and overcrowding - and this is Blackpool who had a perfectly good tram system before they decided to update it.

Good luck with the trams in Edinburgh. Now I sort of understand why the new tram/metro system in Liverpool keeps on getting shelved.

Yet places like Manchester have a wonderful tram/metro system that is now going to extend out to Manchester Airport.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tram-way

P.S. Ronaldo - the trams in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and even in Antwerp are amazing!

Pity the stupid UK scrapped all it's trams back in the 1960's (apart from Blackpool) and then realised 40 years later "actually, they weren't so bad after all!" :-/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Tram-way

< Yet places like Manchester have a wonderful tram/metro system that is now going to extend out to Manchester Airport. >

Much of the 1st phase of the Manchester system was on existing track, replacing existing commuter routes with only the central Manchester line being totally new.

< and then realised 40 years later "actually, they weren't so bad after all!" >

Generally tram systems are a poor option as they are restricted in where they can go. These days a better option are hybrid buses

Edited: 19 September 2013, 18:12
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tram-way

True - but it's still a good network and is reasonably priced in Manchester.

As for Hybrid buses - Arriva in Liverpool just updated it's Cross-River buses (the ones that go over to the Wirral) with the Hybrid variety.

But they also invested goodness knows how much on brand new non-Hybrid double decker buses.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tram-way

Back to the subject:

This month roads around York Place re-opened. Next month roads around Haymarket will re-open. This will make car drivers a lot happier. Major work almost finished, a lot of small works to be done.

It's estimated trams will start running commercially in May 2014. There's a rumour going around that the council will announce a public holiday on that day!

Scotland
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tram-way

When I came back from the airport on the 13th I saw three trams actually moving (Airport - Gogar section). I almost fell off the bus.

17. Re: Tram-way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:20