We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stupid question

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
stupid question

This might seem like a stupid question. I've been looking at 2 budget hotels, Holiday Inn (Cowgate) and Premier Inn (Morrison Link, Haymarket). I am just wondering are either of these hotels near the grassmarket area. We are a group of 12 girls going on a hens and would like to be as near as possible (within reason) to this lively area? Thanks in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: stupid question

certainly both are within walking distance.The Cowgate is really just an extension of the grassmarket so it is the closest (2-300 yards)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stupid question

Cowgate is near Grassmarket.

Try google maps.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stupid question

If you're on a budget, there's also a Premier Inn and a Novotel at Lauriston Place, which is is just a five minute walk from the Grassmarket:

premierinn.com/en/hotel/EDIPTI/edinburgh-cen…

novotel.com/gb/…index.shtml

Edited: 16 November 2012, 13:02
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stupid question

Thanks for your replies - i've had a quick look on google maps and location seems great for holiday inn cowgate. I also spotted 2 travel lodge hotels that are alot cheaper again, Prince's St travelodge and Mary Street Travel Lodge. Just wondering which would be closer to Grassmarket area - I presume the Mary St one, but would the Prince's st one be much of a walk? Sorry if this is long winded. Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stupid question

the holiday Inn is almost next door to the St,mary's travelodge which is on the corner of St Mary's and the Cowgate.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stupid question

The Princes St one is better located for shopping but a bit of a hike up and down hilly cobbled streets in heels for a pub crawl in the Grassmarket!

Edited: 16 November 2012, 16:37
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stupid question

St Marys St def for grassmarket

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stupid question

There are also watering holes in the cowgate, making St Marys Street all the more attractive if that's your priority. A staggering choice you might say.

Google's Cowgate mapping and tagging is out of date ...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stupid question

Thanks for all your replies. We are going with theTravelodge. THanks again

10. Re: stupid question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:17