We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

paris
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice pub (ideally a place where I could stay for having dinner and drinks all night) on Hogmanay's night in Edinburgh ? Any tips ? Which bar/pub would be your choice ?

Thanks in advance !

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

My choice would be the Dome on George Street it is a very nice place to have a meal and drink

http://www.thedomeedinburgh.com/

check its website

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

A 'nice pub/bar' means different things to different people.

What style are you looking for?

Edinburgh has everything from upmarket, grandiose bars (e.g. The Dome) to the more down to earth type of pub (e.g. The bailie)

Both nice in their own ways!

Here a link to the Bailie http://thebailiebar.co.uk/

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

I’m wondering if you are talking about dinner and drinks in the early evening or a bar you can stay at over midnight? If it’s the latter I think you will find it difficult. Most bars will close around 10:00pm to allow staff to go home. Others that are will require a reservation and at this date you are very very late. For example The Dome says “Full details about "THE DOME HOGMANAY PARTY" are also included in the Festive Brochure. Tickets for the Hogmanay Party are £40.00 each The Festive Brochure is not available to download..”

Do you have Street Party tickets?

paris
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

Thanks for your answers

We are looking for a down to earth style of pub, something casual and where we could socialize with other people.

I had no idea pubs would close at 10PM so I guess we'll need Street Party tickets (althought I'm a bit afraid of getting cold..) to go there after a meal and some beers in a pub

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

Street Party tickets: the idea is the council fences off the main streets Princes Street and George Street and sets up entrances on access roads. From early evening access would be ticket only. Before midnight people head for Princes Street in order to see the fireworks above the Castle.

Most hotels can help you sort out tickets. Ask yours.

edinburghshogmanay.org/content/…1455

And for more details of the Hogmanay festival edinburghshogmanay.com/userfiles/file/EH13_b…

Pubs don't normally close at 10, but it is New Year and staff need to get home; and because there can be problems with people who go from pub to pub to pub.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

The street party is great there are bands playing at different stages and you can take your own drink into the street party just wrap up warm and enjoy it

Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

I've been to Edinburgh a few times for Hogmanay and as long as you prepare for cold, you will be fine. Those were the best New Years I ever had, such an amazing atmosphere. Both times i've been I've ended up peeling off layers because I get too hot (bearing in mind I go out with a lot of layers on under my big coat and hat and scarf!) .. a couple of years ago I went and there was a foot of snow all round Edinburgh, that was the best year :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

Pubs will NOT close at 10pm! Certainly not around the city centre. Closing on the busiest night of the year would not make much sense.

The least three years we have been doing mini pub crawls around the Royal Mile / Old Town and they have been open til 2,3am. The only problems you may face are

a) some pubs will be ticketed after a certain time

b) some may get full as midnight approaches.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

^^ this.

I was confused at the 10pm comments. Its never been like that when I've been in town over Hogmanay.

The two points above are your biggest hurdles but plenty pubs will be open well past the bells...

I would say that if you are not in situ before 11.00 pm then you will struggle to get in anywhere.

Edited: 12 December 2012, 13:13
edinburgh
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Hogmanay pub

agree with doug never been toor heard of a pub closing at 10pm. they close the bar in most places for 30 mins or so to allow the bar staff to have a drink. The Ghillie Dhu have tickets to the bar from 9pm for £5 love that place. Also last year I went to Ricks bar I think for £30 we had a set meal and at midnight had a geat view of the fireworks there is so much choice around town.