We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to choose between 2 hotels

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to choose between 2 hotels

Hi

I'm hoping this is a fairly straightforward question. I'm looking to book a hotel for the Edinburgh Fringe as a surprise for my boyfriend for Christmas, I've never been before, so not sure of locations of things.

Found two, The Place on York Place and the Sailsbury in Newington that look nice and within my price range. But is the Salisbury too out of the way to be convenient? (It comes with breakfast and parking for a good price, which is why it's caught my eye)

Thanks!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

the Salisbury is fine and you can walk into the city center from there fairly easily or loads of buses will take 5 minutes or so depending on traffic.it is on a one way street and though it does have parking it is fairly limited.Loads of bars and resturants within easy walk of there also.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

York Place would be a nightmare for parking but is more central, that said most of the Fringe events are on the side of town nearer the Salisbury so there is probably not much in it.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

I'd already posted a reply, but it doesn't seem to be here.

We would only drive if we stayed at the Sailsbury, we'd get the train if we stayed anywhere more central. The Sailsbury also offers breakfast.

How long do you think it would take us to walk into town from the Sailsbury? As that's the one I'm leaning slightly towards.

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

I walk in that area quite often, 15 minutes or so from the Hotel to the RoyalMile but I reckon I usually do it in 10 depending on how many folk get in my way, Festival time it will be lots.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

Lol. We've been to Manhattan a couple of times so are use to it being busy and there being lots of people and walking about. Think I might go for that one.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,776 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

it is a straight walk in to town, just come out the hotle head to the main road about 100 yards away and head north which will be to your right, igf you are going down hill you are going in the wrong direction.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

I'd say the Salisbury. Kinda handy for Cassis restaurant :-)

If you walk into town, you will pass Queens Hall, then the Festival Theatre both of which are official festival venues (There are half a dozen festivals, not just the Fringe). And by the time you get that far you are already in the heart of the Fringe festival. 1 km to Surgeon's Hall, 1.5 km to the Royal Mile, 2 k to Princes Street. Depending on how fast you walk, maybe15 mins to Surgeon's Hall.

Edinburgh is packed with Fringe venues. They pop up all over the place. Sometimes buses are the answer and a day ticket currently costs £3.50. There are quite a few services run past the end of Salisbury Road.

England
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

Thanks everyone.

I've booked it. Fingers crossed he'll be really excited to share the Fringe with me :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

Sounds like a good choice, nice part of town - wee bit off the centre which may actually be a relief at the end of a busy day at the festival/fringe!!

10. Re: Trying to choose between 2 hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 05:15