We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Scotland this summer

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cary, North Carolina
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Scotland this summer

Our family of 9--six adults and 3 teens--are in the early stages of planning a trip to Scotland this summer--late August. We would like to visit, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the area around Holy Loch. Looking for recommendations of places to stay--maybe for the entire week and then do day trips to various places. Any recommendations of places in this general area that would accommodate us in maybe 4 bedrooms? Thanks Dan

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

Hi and welcome, Dan,

I dont' have recommendations other than a self-catering house somewhere west of Glasgow, eg Helensburgh or around Loch Lomond.

I'd say Edinburgh will be too busy and expensive to stay there, but of course it could be an option for a few days and then move to Glasgow.

What will be a consideration is how you plan to get around? No point in suggesting a beautiful house out in the sticks if you don't have cars.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

Scotland doesn;t really lend itself to day trips from one location. Most people staying for a length of time end up touring around either changing place nightly or staying somewhere for 2 or 3 days.

If you decide on one location, make it Glasgow, because access to the west is so much easier, and because late August is still Festival time in Edinburgh, hence central hotels can be busy and expensive.

Edinburgh is 50 mins by train so no problem in getting over there.

It's unlikely a family B&B would deal with a group of your size, but you never know. You're more likely talking about a B&B rate in a hotel. Or maybe 2 small nearby B&Bs. I reckon your are best advised to contact some tourist office directly - they usually know the people and can provide good advice.

Cary, North Carolina
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

Thanks for your replies to my question. As far as transportation goes, we are a little reluctant to rent cars/vans since we are not comfortable driving on the left side of the highway--probably not too bad out in the countryside but driving in city traffic sounds uncomfortable. So we were also considering the possibliity of some small van-type group tours that would accomodate the 9 of us from a more central location such as Glasgow. Also a train ride of less than one hour would certainly be a possibility. Any comments on contacts in the Glasgow area to look into either accomodations for our family or small group tours that might offer flexibility in where the individual tour goes? Thanks Dan

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/

http://www.rabbies.com/

come highly recommended although I think a rental car (or 2) would enhance your trip and allow you to stay somewhere like this

http://www.cottages-and-castles.co.uk/properties/Argyll-And-The-Isles/Argyll/Isle-of-Bute_-Dunoon-And-Cowal/Old-Kilmun-House*P036/

or

scotland-holiday-cottage.com/argyll/inverara…

Might be a bit remote for your teenagers though. Glasgow or Edinburgh would probably have more to interest them so maybe a couple of flats in the city would be more suitable?

Cary, North Carolina
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

Thanks very much. I'll check these out in the next few days. Dan

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

You can drive from Glasgow Airport (west of Glasgow) 60 miles through the centre of Glasgow to Edinburgh airport, on motorway all the way, barely needing to change gear, never mind worry about oncoming traffic. So driving through Glasgow need not be a nightmare. Edinburgh, on the other hand,.......

With your numbers, I would contact those tour companies thegoodwitch mentions and negotiate a deal with them.

If you want to go to the Holy Loch, you might as well have a tour tailored to your party's requirements.

7. Re: Trip to Scotland this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 06:18