We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
753 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Red squirrels near Edinburgh

We are visiting scotland for the first time this summer and staying in Edinburgh for 6 nights. We will have a car so travelling around isn't a problem. Is there anywhere reasonably near Edinburgh that we would have a good chnace of seeing red squirrels?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
753 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Thanks everyone. That all sounds great. Will have to think carefully about what to do though as we are only in Edinburgh for 5 full days and have never been to Scotland before so have lots to fit in.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
363 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Red squirrels are stil present in Lothian at Saltoun Forest but hard to see. Paxton Hose in berwickshire was a stronghold but the thriving population was wiped out by the pox virus this year. I saw one in the grounds of Floors Castle near Kelso last year

An otter was present on Duddingston Loch this afternoon-they are often seen when the loch ices over

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Reds can be seen in the Argyll Forest at Kilmun near Dunoon they are smaller than the greys and much nicer

Also nice scenery there too

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
659 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Otter, Beaver & Red Squirrel can be seen (if they choose to make an appearance) at the Loch of the Lowes near Dunkeld.

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/…

Red Squirrels & other wildlife are sometimes seen at Tentsmuir Sands Nature reserve - between Leuchars & Dundee

If you are a golfer - plan a round on Alyth golf course - loads of Reds hopping about

Newcastle upon...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

I live to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne and see red squrrels all the time. I saw one last week in the Lake District and have seen loads in Northumberland.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

I know this was asking about 'near Edinburgh' but as the OP is from England, if you are ever down in Surrey then the British Wildlife Centre at Lingfield in Surrey has red squirrels: lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/…

www.britishwildlifecentre.co.uk/index.html

Unfortunately I don't know of anywhere similar in Scotland (at least not with red squirrels). In the wild one of the best places to see them is in the Cairngorm forests: Rothiemurchus, Abernethy Forest etc.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Isn't the British WIldlife Centre effectively a zoo? They talk about 'enclosures' and they have a map with marked areas. So you'd see squirrels and other animals but not as nature intended.

A while back I mentioned The Scottish WIldlife Trust, who have a visitor centre at the Loch of the Lowes, Dunkeld, Perthshire. They have a panoramic window with lots of feeder stations, and you would see a host of small birds - and nesting ospreys. They frequently have wild red squirrels coming down for food.

scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/visit/… [as mentioned by tomjunior, but worth repeating]

There are a few such places with good chances of seeing squirrels.

Or one can simply visit a place which squirrels are know to frequent ... lower chance of a quick sighting, but more 'authentic'.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

Well Wildlife Park / Zoo yes of course it is - with enclosures of deer, otters, red squirrels etc - obviously it's less authentic than seeing them in the wild but if you want to see red squirrels and be sure you will actually see some then it's a good place to go and great for photographs.

You can easily spend a whole day in Scotland looking for red squirrels in the wild and not find any - grey squirrels on the other hand I can find within 10 minutes in Edinburgh by going to the Botanic Gardens. :) I just mentioned the place in Surrey to the OP as a place where you would be 100% guaranteed to see red squirrels and it also makes for a nice day out.

29. Re: Red squirrels near Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 06:15