We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide speaking italian

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Casatenovo,Italy
12 posts
Save Topic
Guide speaking italian

I will be with my friends in Scotland at the end of April and on 29.4 we will spend a few hours in Plitochry. The STGA said that they have not a guide there, but he should follow us from Edimburgh. So if someone knows who can stay with us that day even if he his not an offcial guide, we will be glad to know him.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide speaking italian

Maybe if you explain who the STGA is then we would be able to understand your post

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide speaking italian

The STGA is the Scottish Tourist Guides Association with whom all Blue Badge guides in Scotland should be registered - and apparently there are also Green and Yellow badge guides, which I didn't know.

To quote their website:

"The STGA is the only professional membership body for fully trained and accredited guides in Scotland and is endorsed by both VisitScotland and VisitBritain."

Angelo was right to start there. I think the response Angelo got from the STGA suggests they would have to pay an Edinburgh based guide expenses to come up to Pitlochry for them.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide speaking italian

You say that you are going to be spending a few hours in Pitlochry. Is this part of a tour that you are undertaking? If so where are you starting your tour from and how long will the tour be?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide speaking italian

Angelo, I think it's better to post in the Scotland forum rather than the Pitlochry one. Yes you need to find a guide from Edinburgh or Glasgow and you will have to explain where you can pick the guide up, or whether you will meet the guide in Pitlochry.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide speaking italian

Go back to STGA and ask about a guide based somewhere else like Edinburgh or Glasgow, someone who can travel to meet you?

And both Edinburgh and Glasgow contain Italian speakers who are not guides, but that would be taking a chance of things not going well.

Casatenovo,Italy
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide speaking italian

Thank you for your suggestions. I will ask to STGA again, but I think it will be not so easy because, as I understood, most of the guides stay in Edimburgh or Glasgow. Scottish guides are more expensive than in other countries just when they work in Edimburgh, so if you have to pay for their transport to Plitochry for a work of three or four hours the cost could become not so advantegeous. In the meantime the Blair Athol Distillery has been available to give us a translation in italian of their guided tour of he distillery.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide speaking italian

Perth College offer Italian courses. Possibly a local lecturer might be willing to meet you?

perth.uhi.ac.uk/contactus/Pages/default.aspx

and ask them if they'd put something on their notice board.

8. Re: Guide speaking italian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:17