We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding the bus from the train station

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Riding the bus from the train station

I will be traveling with my elderly aunt and cousin from London to Edinburgh by train in June. We are staying at Ramsay Garden close to the Castle. Is there a bus that travels from the train station to that location? We will have our luggage with us also. Would it be better to take a taxi?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

It will be less than 5 minutes in a cab from Waverley Station.

With 3 people and luggage a cab is the way to go.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Thanks!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

It is steep uphill all the way from the station to Ramsay gardens, a fit person could walk it in 5 minutes but with luggage then definitely a cab- although they won't be very happy with such a short fare!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Like Lesa, I will be visiting Edinburgh with my parents in July and we are staying at an apartment in Candlemaker Row. We will be arriving on train also and from Google map the driving distance from the station is just 5 minutes hence I also wonder if the cab driver would refuse to take us for such a short ride.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Ooh, that is a short trip for a cab. It's 5 minute walk. Up a bit, down a bit. If your patents can't manage the walk, you have no option but to call a cab. At least they will quickly pick up the next fare because both locations are central. The issue is that cabs wait in queue for a long time at the station, and most would hope to pick up a long fare from there. To have to go just round the corner would be frustrating.

Abs :)

Inverness
Level Contributor
179 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Unfortunately that's part of the job isn't it. The taxi driver will be ok I wouldn't worry about it

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Taxi drivers not allowed to refuse a fare without good reason.

stirling
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

I regularly use taxis to transfer tourists from Balmoral Hotel to Castle --absolutely no complaints from any driver -- costs about £6. My worst was to take a taxi from Waverley station to Balmoral because of the vast amount of luggage --again no problem with driver

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

Sadly the days of the internal lift from the station concourse directly to the reception area of the hotel have long gone. I wonder if the shaft is still there?

10. Re: Riding the bus from the train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 05:19