We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

2 years ago my daughter and I did 11 night stay in Ireland, renting a car, starting in Dublin, driving south and west and back to Dublin. I loved it. I wanted to go back this year, but my husband suggested something different. So my husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland later this year. I was wondering if anyone has been to both and could compare the similarities and differences between the two.

I have bought a couple guidebooks and have been researching on the internet.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,039 Reviews
from US$65.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from US$345.50*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
171 Reviews
from US$581.60*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
110 Reviews
from US$287.90*
US$319.90
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,808 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

I've only been to Dublin, Belfast and the area round Cork County but I would say that Scotland is far more mountainous and rugged than Ireland. I really love Ireland and the Irish but as a native Scot (although at least 1/4 Irish on my mum's side) I have to say that Scotland is more beautiful with a better variety of landscapes, dare I say it more history, castles etc.

Could just be my ignorance of course but the splendours of places like Skye, the West coast, Stirling and Edinburgh castles outweigh places in Ireland but I would also have a hard job not recommedning a visit there as it is also fab.

I much prefer Cork to Dublin ( although the Cork accent can be a challenge to understand) and have visited there many times as I have friends living there. Kinsale & Clonakilty and practically any beach around the coast are fantastic and unspoilt.

If you have enough time then why not do some of both.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

What makes a holiday good for you? It is probably easier to compare two different countries if we know what aspects of Ireland made it such a good trip. Both Scotland and Ireland can give great holidays - I am wondering if rather than comparing one to the other you might be better focusing on what parts of Scotland would appeal most so we can point you in the right direction.

Like Ireland, Scotland is pretty varied so what applies in the western isles is not necessarily the same as Edinburgh for example. Even with regard to weather the west tends to (on average) be wetter and slightly warmer than the east.

Like Ireland, Scotland can give you great food, stunning scenery, friendly people, historic buildings, good music - plus unique events like the Edinburgh festival in August. I get the impression that the south west of Ireland focuses more visitors into the ring of Kerry than the west of scotland, so you might find the wilds of Scotland less busy.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

The midges are less vicious in Ireland :o))

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,769 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

There are SO many stone dykes in Ireland compared to Scotland (at least in the SW corner!) I would think parts of Scotland are much drier than Ireland and we don't have any "E'" in our Whisky!

I know that wasn't helpful, sorry!

W x

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

Similarities - both countries speak English with a distrinctive accent.

Differences - er...almost everything else.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

Scotland has more mountains and castles and midges.

Ireland has more bogs and is wetterand is more laid back.

If you have been to Ireland and loved it , try Scotland this time, you wont be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

As someone who lives in Scotland (unlike the two people who mentioned midges). It depends where you travel in Scotland to encounter midges. We have none on the East Coast of Scotland where I live.

My Father was Irish my Husband is Irish. I spent a lot of time in Ireland. I would say I would have a holiday in either country as they are both great countries to visit.

However, since Eire went over to the Euro Ireland IMO has got quite expensive. So the O.P. may find Scotland cheaper.

However, N.Ireland still with Sterling is comparable to Scotland.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

Scotland is usually significantly colder. When weather's adverse, it's a lot more adverse than Ireland.

Mainland Scotland roughly is split into three: a densely populated central belt, which helped start the industrial revolution and shows huge evidence of subsequent de-industrialisation, a reasonably undulating, agricultural belt south and NE of that belt, and immense swathes of mountain, glen and pasture (but almost no humans) to the NW. All subject to British planning laws (so no endless tacky bungalows) and distinctive Scottish access rights (so you can walk across huge amounts of Scotland's privately owned land)

The global stereotype of the feckless Irish charmer and the dour Scottish hard worker got invented for a purpose, and that purpose wasn't English bigotry but a roughly accurate picture of what visitors found. For tourists, both present as polite, helpful people (unless you've got an English accent in parts of Glasgow). But Scotland has no real equivalent of a decent Irish pub, especially of a decent Irish village pub.

Scotland was a normal, modern for its day, European country when it decided to merge with England (remember: the Scottish king took over England, and the Scottish parliament asked for the merger a century later) . Ireland was little evolved from a collection of feuding hunter-gatherers with a lot of monks and hermits when the Normans invaded . Scotland is awash with old monuments the Scots built for an independent country: Ireland has very little built heritage except what the English constructed. As a result, much of it collapsed into ruins after Ireland stopped being ruled directly from London, and little of it is maintained and kept accessible in the way such buildings are in Scotland and England.

Unlike Scotland, Ireland has no domestic tradition of proper football clubs or drinking real beer, or of producing great scientists and technologists. Unlike Ireland, Scotland generally has a limited tradition of humour - or at least of jokes the English can understand . The two do however share some aspects of pan-British Isles culture: pubs, cups of tea, the universal belief that Australia's a lot nearer than France, horse-racing, and gambling on it, a national radio station dominated by the spoken word, scripted by gifted writers, the acceptance that weather's unpredictable, doesn't matter and you just need to be prepared and dressed for any eventuality, and the conviction most things are London's fault.

Personally, I think much of the world is split into Inner Scots and Inner Irish, and few people like one as much as the other.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

Frances - if you want to be pedantic, we call our country Ireland not Eire.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,769 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone compare Scotland to Ireland?

"But Scotland has no real equivalent of a decent Irish pub, especially of a decent Irish village pub" - Disagree!

"The two do however share some aspects of pan-British Isles culture: pubs "

(mmm - didn't you just say we didn't have them?? - oh sorry no, we DO have them, they just aren't decent (IYO)

Well Shaffers - betcha didn't think you would spark off this lot!

Edited: 21 January 2013, 16:06