We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking while in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Parking while in Edinburgh

Hi there,

We may be renting a car while in Scotland, and are planning on 2 nights in Edinburgh...but what to do with the car?

Anyone encounter this before? What did you do?

I see there are a number of car parks, some out by the airport that are free. There are also some "private spots" for hire closer to the city, reasonable rates, but safe?

Maybe find a B&B that has parking? But we were really hoping to just stay near the Royal Mile in a hostel for convenience within the city.

Help!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

< I see there are a number of car parks, some out by the airport that are free. >

These are the Park & Rides, few, if any, allow overnight parking.

Your options in reality are

a) Pay through the nose for a city centre car park

b) Stay somewhere outside the Permit parking zones

c) Stay in Edinburgh over the weekend checking the local restrictions (eg some go up to 5:30 weekdays, others 1:30pm Saturday, some others 6:30pm Saturday)

d) Find somewhere (eg Knight's Residence) in the city centre that has parking

edinburgh.gov.uk/info/…parking_and_car_parks

There's actually little need to stay in the centre of Edinburgh unless you have a fear of buses as the local public transport is good and runs 24 hours a day (though night routes are restricted)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

There are a number of car parks throughout Edinburgh

This site might be useful

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/edinburgh/

There are also streets you can park on with no restriction but these would entail you parking and then getting a bus/taxi or having a long walk to your hostel

You could start in Edinburgh and only hire the car when you leave

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

You really don't need a car while in Edinburgh. Your best bet would be to ditch the hire car for your stay. If that's not practical, and it will be cheaper to keep it but not use it, your best bet is probably to park it outside the controlled parking zone and leave it there for your stay. You could, for example, park in one of the side streets off of Gorgie road and then bus it in to your hostel. You will get feedback that this may not be safe; but plenty of people that live in the city - myself included - use on street parking all the time. If you're really not comfortable with this, then there are B&Bs which have parking, but they are not very central and you'll have to use buses anyway, even though your car will be more secure.

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

Thanks for all your advice! I know some other forums/threads touch on this, but thought I would still post my own. I appreciate your time!

"b) Stay somewhere outside the Permit parking zones"

-how far does this parking zone actually go? I was looking at some of the parking websites (as provided above) and really doesn't look too bad. buses can't be too long, I hear edinburgh has a great bus system!

We looked into not having a car etc etc. But flying into and out of Glasgow is much more economical for us than Edinburgh (like 500-800$) . As well, picking up a car in one city and dropping it in the other adds another fee (almost 300-400$!!!, for the inconvenience I think).

So this is what we're left with. I know we don't NEED a car in Edinburgh, but it's looking like our best option.

Thanks DDootsie for your specifics about the possibility of street parking, and the safety margin. I'm not super worried, I would park my own car, I guess cause it's a rental it has me freaked out about being stolen.

So, now to research where to stay....if we stayed out of the "city central" how late do buses run? I guess I could check that...ie. could we be in a pub til midnight and still bus to an "outer" B&B?

CF

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

The main road into Edinburgh coming from Glasgow has lots of hotels and B&Bs and is outside the permit zone. Look for an EH12 postcode (zip). The area is called Murrayfield or Corstorphine

There's a Holiday Inn at Edinburgh Zoo for example and the B&Bs.

The buses run along this route every few minutes

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

Dunno who quoted you that one way drop off fee but it's ridiculous. Normally its only £35 or so

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

Edinburgh is extremely safe to walk around and you really do not have to worry about parking your car in a residential area for a few days. Car crime is very low so don't even give it a second thought. As with every city in the world, make sure you do not leave any valuables on show, including Sat Nav. Not sure what your budget for accommodation is but a new hotel called Tune Hotel in Haymarket Terrace has just opened and I believe the rates are extremely cheap - tunehotels.com/our-hotels/haymarket-edinburgh

Plenty of off street parking near here and easy walking distance into city centre.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 09:50
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

If you stay at the Knight Residence in Edinburgh which is just at the back of the Castle and 5 minutes walk down to the city centre, they have a secure car park. This is the place we always stay as we live 3 hours away from Edinburgh and always come in our car.

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

If not Tune Hotel you will find plenty of B&Bs close by. Google B&Bs in Haymarket. Another option for Hostel style accom is http://www.thewestendhotel.co.uk/tariff.asp

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking while in Edinburgh

<< We looked into not having a car etc etc. But flying into and out of Glasgow is much more economical for us than Edinburgh (like 500-800$) . As well, picking up a car in one city and dropping it in the other adds another fee (almost 300-400$!!!, for the inconvenience I think). >>

But a bus/train ticket from Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh via Paisley Gilmour St is £14.80 single. An all-day bus ticket in Edinburgh is £3.50 I think.