We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Go see the river"

2 posts
Save Topic
"Go see the river"

Hi everyone,

I am visiting Edinburgh in February and don't know much about the place, I've planned some things to do but we are only there three days.

I've been told "definitely go to the river" but I don't know the best place to go 'to the river.' Could anyone advise me as to where the nicest part is?

I hope this post makes sense, I know it's a big vague!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Go see the river"

Hi. Do you mean the Firth of Forth? With its iconic red railway bridge... That's a river mouth and doesn't look so much like a river!

Or perhaps you are referring to the Water of Leith, which flows through Edinburgh from Balerno to the Leith Docks. It's not so much a river either, and although parts are pretty, I'd be surprised if someone has instructed you to see it as a must see!

Abs :)

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Go see the river"

Thanks for the reply :)

I have no idea! I might give it a miss if it isn't actually a 'must see,' we've got lots of nice things planned as it is. Thanks for the advice

Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Go see the river"

If you're looking for a great choice of restaurants and pubs, head for the Water of Leith as it enters the Port. https://www.google.co.uk/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=restaurants+near+the+shore+edinburgh

If the Botanic Gardens are on your itinerary, the Water of Leith Walkway provides a green way of getting between the two.

Dean village is an architectural gem, and from Belford Road you have access to the Galleries of Modern Art. All loosely connected to the Water of Leith, if you're not in a rush.

No, the WOL isn't a 'must see' like the Castle, but it has a few attractions. I'm most upset to see it dismissed, so ... dismissively :-)

Lots of tourists enjoy South Queensferry village and the Forth Rail Bridge - a nice little village and spectacular engineering, and a bus trip or train ride from Edinburgh.

Or maybe they mean Portobello Beach?

Maybe get back in touch with the person making the original suggestion for more info?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Go see the river"

I'd guess they mean the Water of leith. Its pretty in parts, but the flood prevention work has unfortunately been fairly detrimental to its appearance in places (thinking cannonmills and stockbridge)

Still makes for a good stroll though.

I particularly like the stretch between dean village and stockbridge. Not a must see with just 3 days however!!

Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,083 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Go see the river"

Edinburgh = Forth Rail Bridge to me

It's a fantastic sight

Read up on it before you go

In its time it was the engineering equivalent of putting a man on the moon.

Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Go see the river"

The Forth Rail Bridge is the most beautiful and stunning bridge in the world and no matter how many times I see this bridge I always feel excitment, wonder and I think how lucky I am to have this fabulous structure in my country,

No visit to Edinburgh would be complete without seeing this bridge.

I would recommend a trip to South Queensferry where you can have a wander around and see the bridge from close quarters.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 08:27
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Go see the river"

"Go see the River Clyde", is the full advice.

8. Re: "Go see the river"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor