We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Have I left it too late......................

Have been to the Fringe festival before (last time in 2011)

but this time we are looking to travel with our 14 yr old son.

Looking to spend approx 4 days (Tues-Sat, or Wed-Sun)

in the first or second week of the Festival.

I have initially looked at the big-chained budget hotels (Holiday Inn/Travelodge/Premier/Jurys) but they understandably all put the prices up, and so it now makes it quite expensive.

Are there any recommendations of semi-decent Guesthouses,

B & B's or self catering apartments within 15 mins walk of the centre

or websites searches that might take me in that direction.

thanks Matt

Edited: 03 February 2013, 20:50
Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Budget?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Staying out of Edinburgh and train in can be cheaper.

(Festival Fringe not Fringe Festival)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

'websites searches that might take me in that direction'

You're on a good site for sourcing b&b's already :)

Do a search on Tripadvisor. Edinburgh has LOADS of b&bs, many within the distance you state. Self catering options too. Nothing will be cheap during the festival of course, do be aware of that.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Supply and demand unfortunately, means that ALL accommodation will be pricier in August. I used to sublet a room during the festival and would get as much money per week as I would per month normally.

There will still be availability out there, it's a case of hunting it down!

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Given how good Edinburgh buses are (and there are night buses) your 15-minute rule is an unnecessary restriction.

Consider this quarter of town http://goo.gl/maps/etA37

Edited: 06 February 2013, 13:49
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Not necessarily too late for the big chains if you keep your eyes peeled for sales,both Travelodge and Premier inn have fairly regular room sales. Last year we found a room in a Premier inn for just £44 a night less than two months before the festival. Just don't panic buy , unless you find a bargain, In my experience there are always rooms available, in 2011 we booked a room just the day before we got there. Prices are not really likely to get much more expensive than they are already, so bide your time and watch for sales.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 14:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

Last year we were up in Edinburgh for a wedding during the Festival and I made the mistake of booking a room in February. All the rates were sky high and I wound up booking a Travelodge for over £100/night. Closer to the time I made the bigger mistake of looking at what was available and for the same amount I could have booked a much nicer hotel.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

The opposite can be the case too.

Easy to leave it too late and end up spending a fortune for somewhere you don't even want to stay.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

In August there are loads of people piling into cheap hotels and renting cheap flats. Thousands of performers; and just a few more audience. Yes it's possible to pick up accommodation at the last minute but it's a big risk. Altogether it's the biggest festival in the world. Lots of Edinburgh people make a fortune by letting their properties in August.

Most of the year the only time you need to fight your way around the centre of town is the Saturday morning shopping frenzy - and that probably applies to two streets. Come Festival time most main streets stay busy until the shows come out in the late evening.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 nights accommodation for Edinburgh Fringe

sijowa71: Thanks for the advice. I know I didn't post the question but I had the exact same concerns. I was starting to panic. It is coincidence that we will be in Edinburgh during Fringe. Initially we were planning on coming in mid-September, but there was a change in our five year old's school schedule.

Wol, Have you found anything yet? Was it for a decent price?

Initially when I was looking for September I found literally dozens of private flats and B&B's for under £78 which is what I had wanted to stay under initially. I am going to have to readdress that now. I have been looking outside Edinburgh proper, but some of the B&B's say that they take over an hour to get into town (per Google maps) using public transportation. Bathgate and Haddington for example.