We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train timetable symbol

Arizona
Level Contributor
469 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Train timetable symbol

What does it mean on the East Coast site when it has the red dot by a departure. Well, I know it means "East Coast Service Included in this Journey" ... But I can't find anywhere on the East Coast site what exactly "East Coast service" is? Thanks!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train timetable symbol

It means a service run by East Coast Trains, who are the main operator on that route.

Why the symbol is there is a different question - possibly because if you travel on those trains you get an extra discount on an advance ticket if you buy it from East Coast.

Arizona
Level Contributor
469 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train timetable symbol

Thanks. Actually, the ones with that symbol are more expensive. That's why I was wondering if it meant some sort of extra service.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train timetable symbol

Depends on where you're travelling from, it may be that the cheaper non-East Coast fares are only valid on the alternative train operating company, which may have slower or less frequent trains.

Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
205 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train timetable symbol

East coast trains are 'Intercity' trains operating the main line up to Aberdeen and down to London Kings cross.

These trains are much more comfortable than the local 'commuter' type trains.

~ Be aware however that at busy times (i.e festival, holidays) these East coast trains can be busy with the seats reserved, where as the local 'commuter trains may not be.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train timetable symbol

East Coast is the usual way of getting Edinburgh - London Kings Cross. There are other companies, other ways, but East Coast is the main player.

For journeys elsewhere in Scotland look at scotrail.

There are loads of companies like thetrainline or seat61 which give good info but charge a percentage on the price. Always buy from the most convenient carrier, not an agency.

If you are buying a long time in advance you need to know that bargain prices go online 12 weeks beforehand, and usually sell out fairly quickly, but that the cheapest tickets are usually tied down to a particular date/time.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train timetable symbol

"There are loads of companies like thetrainline or seat61 which give good info but charge a percentage on the price."

Excuse me, but "seat61" isn't a company or agency like the trainline.

The Man In Seat 61: www.seat61.com is a website offering advice on train travel, not only in the UK, but also in Europe and the rest of the world.

"Seat 61" do NOT sell tickets - unlike a company or agancy like the Trainline - who WILL rip you off.

Buy direct from the train operating company such as East Coast, Virgin Trains etc and never from a 3rd party like the Trainline.

And I will repeat www.seat61.com do not sell tickets as the above person on post #5 suggested !

Edited: 16 February 2013, 02:56
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train timetable symbol

Seat61 do however have affiliate links to Trainline.

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train timetable symbol

7. Seat61 links to a lot of ticket buying sites, and makes no case for trainline as you accuse. Indeed in the UK section the link to trainline is below a lot of alternatives.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train timetable symbol

@8 - unless it has been edited post #7 makes no accusation. Just a statement of fact.

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train timetable symbol

Its at best a very misleading post then.

Because Seat61 links to a vast number of sites not just trainline, which is down the list of linked sites. So, to those who are not familiar with the site, would read that there is a link, when there isnt. Given the trainline has a very poor reputation on here, to tar Seat61 with their brush is unfair, and therefore post 7 is misleading.