We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Will be in Edinburgh when Australia's State of Origin Rugby League game is on in Sydney. Can anyone tell me if this game might happen to be televised for rugby league supporters in Scotland. Thanks LS

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Perhaps you could try and email the organisers to see if they have sold rights to any satellite companies abroad. That would be a good start, though I will try and find out for you.

Otherwise if there are any sports bars in Edinburgh, they might know.

I'm sure someone knows more about sports bar will be along soon!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

I know nothing about sports bars, but either of these might have it:

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/edinburgh/pubguid…

Walkabout, Omni Centre, Picardy Place Roundabout

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Two URLs for walkabout:

edinburghpubguide.co.uk/PubDetails/Walkabout…

www.walkabout.eu.com/010/WJEDI/intro.html

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
359 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

hi,

just to let you know that all 3 state of origin games will be on sky sports the first one is broadcast live at 1030 am wednesday morning.

hope this helps.

stevo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Thank you - my husband will be ecstatic!! I don't think we'll see much of Edinburgh that day. Regards LS

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
359 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Hi Gblyn, not a problem at all. So is your hubby at tooheys blue? or a queensland maroon?

I used to live in Brissy for 7 1/2 years and the stae of origin was always war but back in the days of origin footie NSW were the dominant force but in the modern era it sems more even.

So sre you touring over here or is hubby an aussie?

We are in Manchester, you must surely know it, cold, dark, grey, rain..is it coming back now? lol.

We are going to Oz in July for 4 weeks, cairns, Gold Coast and Sydney. Who does your hubby folllow in the NRL? We are hoping to take in as many games as we can and experience the stadia of australia.

take care enjoy tour trip

and the footie

stevo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

stevo - We are Blues supporters, living an hour out of Sydney. We are travelling for the first time to UK/Europe, so it should all be very interesting. We fly out of Manchester when we go to Paris, so I hope it isn't a grey day then.....(Actually an Aussie friend of ours, is playing rugby league in England for a couple of years - Brad Drew, I think he plays for Hull?? and we hope to catch up with them.) My husband supports the Many Sea Eagles footy team here in Sydney. You will have a great time when you are in Australia again....Cheers LS

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
359 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

Hiya Gblyn,

Wow sounds good time is being had, yes i know who brad drew is he plays at huddersfield at the moment, not a bad player, we are wigan warriors fans and not having a good time at the moment but hopefully that will change sooner rather than later.

We are staying on the darling harbour when we go to sydney and hoping to take in some of the rugby matches out there as i previously said.

My son is mad about newcastle knights and andrew "joey" johns, he was over here at warrington last year as you probably remember.

When we lived in brisbane the nrl wasnt even born it was Qld leagues and NSW leagues so used to follow the Valleys in Brisbane and Manly warringah in sydney who are now the Sea Eagles. Would love to get to the Brookvale Oval whilst in sydney but unsure whether we will cos of the matches and draw. The first weekend the Sea Eagles actually play the Newcastle Knights so as long as its not the friday night we are going up for the game. we only land at Sydney airport at 1450 so will be pushin it to get to darling harbour then to central station and 2 1/2 hr train journey to Newcastle. so hoping for a sat or sun game.

The 2nd weekend we fly home on saturday afternoon so hoping that manly can play Fri night against the rabbitohs or no chance of going to Brookvale oval. We have planned a day out at Manly on the ferry system so should get to see the stadium at least.

So which area do you live in in if you are an hour outside of sydney? Are you still in sydney and when do you come to england? If you are already here the game against melbourne storm is televised this weekend.

keep in touch, nice to meet similar ppl with similar interests hope trip goes well!!!!

stevo

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

You're keen to travel to Newcastle from Sydney to watch a football match while on holidays........we leave Sunday morning on our trip, so not long to go. We live NW of Sydney in the Haweksbury district. My daughters both work in the city and live at Pyrmont, which is just next to Darling Harbour, and it is always a great atmosphere there. We have been having perfect weather here for the last few weeks, although we desperately need some rain. Hope you enjoy good weather when you're in Sydney - might be a bit cool in the mornings in July, but by the sounds of it, that will be warm compared to Manchester. Bon voyage LS

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
359 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State of Origin - Australia - Televised??

hi,

hope you have a pleasant trip and a good flight over to the Uk, we've had a mixed bag with the weather, sunny some days but mainly rain but then again this is England.

I will have to look up the areas you have mentioned where you live and your daughters are, im not that well up on all the areas.

My mum said it was really nice in Sydney and they had a great time.

Yes i suppose we are keen to travel to newcastle think its about 2 1/2 hours by train, but we will be out early that day and try and make a full day of it and get some sightseeing done in newcastle.

take care and enjo your hols

stevo