We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brit rail pass

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Brit rail pass

We are arriving in Harwich in mid May and we will be taking the train to Edinburgh for five nights and visiting various cities in the U.K.. Could someone please tell me if the Britrail pass can be purchased at the train station or must it be purchased online? I would simply purchase it online and have it mailed, but we live in a rural area that is experiencing a rash of mailbox mail theft, thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brit rail pass

You can only buy BritRail pass abroad, not in UK. It is not usually considered a good buy. If you know your itinerary and travel dates then look at www.nationalrail.co.uk and 12 weeks approx before your travel dates you will find Advance fares which are very good value. Do not look too far as these only become available approx 12 weeks before travel. Don't leave too long either as they sell out and only get dearer after that

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brit rail pass

Also, is 'we' just two of you, or a family? There are family railcards that might possible reduce your costs further. Might not be worth it for just one journey, though.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brit rail pass

You may have seen that Britrail is offering a promotion with a free day, which makes it more cost-effective. As a tourist myself, I often use the pass even if it is more expensive than the cheapest advance tickets, because I don't always know when I'm going to want to get to a place or leave a place. And yes, you must buy it from abroad--perhaps have it mailed to a friend with a secure mailbox?

West Virginia
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brit rail pass

We will be there in May also and have our Britrail passes in hand. I agree with vnrose52. If cost is not the bottom line than the convenience of the pass is well worth it. We do not like to be locked into an exact train time so the added flexibility of the pass is great.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brit rail pass

It still depends on where you are going - there is no point in spending $50 a day on a pass if the train fare is £8 on an anytime ticket.

6. Re: Brit rail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:18