We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel from London to Edinburgh

Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
train travel from London to Edinburgh

I consider myself fairly travel savvy, but I am at a loss trying to figure out how to book a round trip from London to Edinburgh, taking a sleeping berth one way and a coach seat upon return. I need advice on what site to use and how to make this less expensive. The way I've been trying to do it keeps telling me it will cost over 700 pounds with an advanced purchase. What am I missing?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

See http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ It's a fiddly site, and you have to be patient to work it out, but trying two random dates in April I managed to do it for £123. It seems to work out cheaper if you book two Advance Single fares rather than a return. Good luck!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Tickets are only released approx 12 weeks in advance. So if your travel date is further away than this, you will be quoted anytime fares, which are more. You can sign up with scotrail to get emails about when Bargain Berths are released, the cheap sleeper rates.

Good luck.

Abs :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Try www.eastcoast.co.uk for the seated journey along with ScotRail's webpage for the sleeper. EastCoast have sales every now and then, with fares from £15 single in Standard and £25 - 30 single in First; the latter can be a very pleasant journey from or to Edinburgh and King's Cross.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Sleeper Bargain Berths can only be booked through the ScotRail website.

For daytime travel East Coast website offers 10% discount on their Advance fares.

The Advance fares are only offered as singles.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Book two singles on two different websites.

For the sleeper leg, book direct on www.scotrail.co.uk. Are you travelling alone? You can get a first class sleeper (single cabin, cooked breakfast, toiletries pack, £2.50 voucher for the lounge car) for £143 single if you book in advance - but no more than 12 weeks in advance. Standard class, where you may have to share a twin berth cabin, is much cheaper, with bargain berths available.

For the seated leg, book on www.eastcoast.co.uk. If you go on to this website, it tells you up front the latest date they are booking for. You can sign up for an email alert for your day of travel when the cheap tickets are released. If you can get a reasonable deal on First Class, go for it. Spacious reclining seats and complimentary food and drink.

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Have you tried http://www.thetrainline.com/

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Do NOT use the Trainline.com

They do not offer Bargain Berths or the East Coast 10% discount web fares, and they do add extra charges. They cannot be cheaper than the train companies and for these routes may well be more expensive.

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Well I have always found them to be cheaper than going direct. So to say Do NOT use is nonsense!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

<<Well I have always found them to be cheaper than going direct. So to say Do NOT use is nonsense!>>

Really?? How come?? They are at best the same ticket price as other outlets and they charge fees that others don't and don't give the discounts that <<some>> others do.. Therefore they are more expensive.

So if you are consistently finding them cheaper than the train companies you are doing something wrong on those other sites

Edited: 17 March 2013, 23:41
Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel from London to Edinburgh

Or just maybe you are doing something wrong??