We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
21 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Edinburgh will be the final stop of our UK Adventure. We are "casual tourists" who like to explore key sites at leisure, then relax and enjoy the culture of the area. We would like to stay in a historic or VERY UNIQUE Hotel/B&B/or Castle that is relatively convenient to the town (we would hope to walk, shop and bar hop). We have looked at a couple of B&Bs as well as the Dundas and Dalhouse castles.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other recommendations?

(Note prior to Edinburgh we will have been in London staying at Hotel 41, Bristol area staying at Thornbury Castle, and York at Lamb & Lion B&B.)

Mentioned in this post
B+B Edinburgh
B+B Edinburgh
772 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Thornbury Castle
Thornbury Castle
140 Reviews
Bristol, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Scottish National War Memorial
Castles, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mons Meg
Castles, Military Bases & Facilities, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Totall over the top: sounds like the Witchery, which has excellent food, and is right next to the Castle. If you have the budget.

http://www.thewitchery.com/Intro-Suites.html

Mentioned in this post
The Witchery by the Castle
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

How about Prestonfield?

http://www.prestonfield.com/

www.prestonfield.com/Rooms-and-Suites.html

Its about a 10 min cab ride from the Royal Mile so not right in the centre but not too far away..

Have not stayed here but have been for other things (e.g. champagne afternoon tea) which was fab and the surroundings and ambience of the dining rooms is quite unique and very historic.

Enjoy :)

Mentioned in this post
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
1,218 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,051 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

I agree about the Witchery. You can't beat the location and is as medieval as it comes

Mentioned in this post
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Dalhousie is nice but a long way out of town, and more a country house than a true castle. Unfortunately, the castle at Borthwick, which might also have interested you, has just ceased operation as a hotel.

The two suggestions so far are both good (and, coincidentally, part of the same group). Personally, I would go for Prestonfield House, which has an enormous wow factor with views over lawns and peacocks to Duddingston Loch and Arthur's Seat. During the summer there is a well-regarded Scottish Show in the extended stables, but the hotel is a little way from the city centre and you would need to take a short taxi ride to and fro. (The bus system in Edinburgh is excellent, but there isn't a stop convenient to the Prestonfield estate). The Witchery, on the other hand, is on the Royal Mile adjacent to the Castle Esplanade so could hardly be more convenient for the tourist trail and the city centre. It has character but not quite the same feel as Prestonfield House. The restaurants at both hotels are amongst the best in the city.

Another you might like to consider is the Balmoral on Princes Street. It's generally considered the premium address in the city and is a key landmark in its own right. It has some historical significance, but of the relatively recent, 19th-century, past.

I'm not familiar with the interior of the Chester Residence but it gets very high ratings amongst luxury hotels, so might also warrant your consideration. It's sited in a quiet part of the Georgian New Town, not perhaps quite as convenient as the Witchery for the tourist trail, but nevertheless central and close to the up-market shopping areas. Rooms at the rear should have good views over the Dean valley towards the Firth of Forth and the Fife hills. It is possible to make similar cases for the Rutland and Tigerlily, both of which are on busier streets and slightly more central.

Mentioned in this post
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
1,927 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
1,218 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
4,104 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Tigerlily Hotel
Tigerlily Hotel
1,866 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Rutland Hotel
The Rutland Hotel
1,211 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Princes Street
Princes Street
1,573 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
New Town
New Town
258 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Arthur's Seat
Arthur's Seat
16,670 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,051 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant
The Scottish Cafe...
743 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

A third vote for the Witchery. It's special inside and so close to all the action, you're about as close to the Castle as you can get. The rooms are small but so ornate and medieval - definitely something to make your stay in Edinburgh memorable.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
68 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Have you considered The Howard... A beautiful hotel with butlar service but very traditional... Had my wedding reception there (party of 20 guests, all stayed at the hotel) every said how amazing the service was and they would have no hesitation in returning.

Mentioned in this post
The Howard
The Howard
823 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Brett-Christy

I have never stayed, but we are planning to stay at Dalhousie Castle for 2 nights during our stay in August. I have also booked time for Falconry experience for our group of 4.

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie Castle
Dalhousie Castle
1,490 Reviews
Bonnyrigg, UK
scotland
Level Contributor
173 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Witchery also gets my vote. Pricey but so worth it and within walking distance of all major attractions. It is certainly unique. Prestonfield also good but a bit out from centre would need to take taxi into centre.

Mentioned in this post
Prestonfield
Prestonfield
1,218 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

Yes, whenever I read "over the top" I thought The Witchery was what you were looking for. Great food and it's one of a kind. I have stayed at and it's nice but I think Witchery fits the bill better.

Mentioned in this post
The Witchery by the...
4,767 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique "Over the Top" Edinburgh Hotel or B&B

John987654321 "Rooms at the rear should have good views over the Dean valley towards the Firth of Forth and the Fife"

I think you are confusing The Edinburgh Residence and the Chester Residence. In the Edinburgh Residence, the rooms facing north (back) have views towards the Forth and Fife. The Chester Residence north (front) look towards The Edinburgh Residence.

Mentioned in this post
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
1,927 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Edinburgh Residence
The Edinburgh Residence
386 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK